Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hexman

Attention coders!

Hey, what do you do in your spare time? I mean like, after you learn to code, what do you do? Just sit around and toss together some cheapo programs that make a smiley face manuever between walls or what? Hexman

Yes, after I spend weeks or months learning a language and a graphics API, I like to toss together some cheapo programs that make smiley faces bounce off walls.

If you spent months learning how to repair cars, would you then spend your free time replacing your wiper fluid?

Don''t you hate when you have nothing to do, so you open up IE and search randomly, only to realize and hour or two of your life had disappeared?

Lol

Spare time? I can always learn something new and try it out in something. Like right now im learning Directx with the DirectX 9.0 SDK. Its really interesting. Then work and School take up the time im not using to learn something new.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I eat sleep and drink code.
Which would account for why I''m so fat.

nah kidding.
I''m always doing something, university, piano, guitar, eating kittens, learning japanese - my hobbies take up my time when I''m not working on a project on the pc.
I think I might have ADD.

On my spare time I like to take my motorcycle out for a ride, spend time with my son and fiance (soon to be wife), and hang out with friends. Programming is a hobby, and I have much more important things to worry about most of the time. When I get some spare time at night or whatever, I work on my game.

--- Edit ---
And I'd like to say, my game is a bit more advanced than a smiley face and some walls .

[edited by - Ready4Dis on May 1, 2003 8:42:55 AM]

When I''m not working and not coding I''ll usually try to go out and do some paintball training, meet friends and have a couple of drinks by the end of the week. Wiiiee, what a beautifull life

The Lord says He can get me out of this mess, but He''s pretty sure you''re fucked.
- Stephen (Braveheart)

I work on my own stuff. (Currently a crappy turn based sci-fi game, and a conversion of a table-top game called BloodBowl) And other times, I play.

Currently there aren''t any new computer games that sound fun to me, so I''ve been on a Tabletop kick. I play Dungeons and Dragons on Saturdays, and recently my friends and I revisited Car Wars. Woohoo! Excitement city!

Later,
Eck

Spare... what...? Does that return a pointer to some abstract structure? Um... you''ll have to detail that a little more, I''m afraid the lack of information on this "spare time" concept is a little too great. Plus, a search in google turned up a bunch of random non-programming stuff.

Seriously, in my spare time? Er, I dunno. Go to college, nothing too serious. Programming''s all that matters in life.

quote:
Original post by Ready4Dis
When I get some spare time at night or whatever, I work on my game.

LOL my boyfriend won't get spare time at night ;-)

[edited by - Marjolein on May 1, 2003 12:36:32 PM]

I tried to comment a email letter I was writing when I wasn''t sure if i wanted to say something. That was when I decided to take a break; from programming that night

I''m what''s known as a lazy programmer. I''ll have a lot of time to code and all... but I just waste my time being stupid cruising forums all day. I''m almost always on AIM when not at school.

I recently started programming with OpenGL, trying to get away from QBASIC (heh). Anyway, I''ve been spending all of my time recently studying the code from NeHe, reading tutorials, and all that good stuff. I have a school project in which I want to do a big 3D demo thingy, so... I now have insentive to learn this stuff

I like RPGs mostly, and my friend likes to make music. We''re working on a whole bunch of games, with everything already planned out, but the main thing is for me to learn and for him to make the graphics and music. Was that all one sentence? O_O

I say I have no time, but I''m lying. Please give me a boot to get back to coding!

P.S.
I have to learn how to do this demo by may 12th (due may 13th) and I don''t know calculus or trig yet... morphing blobby polygons and stuff is probably too hard, but I''ll try my best

quote:
Original post by Marjolein
LOL my boyfriend won''t get spare time at night ;-)

Lucky me :D
She means that - at night - I''m coding too

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I'm always doing something, university, piano, guitar, eating kittens, learning japanese - my hobbies take up my time when I'm not working on a project on the pc.
I think I might have ADD.

Whoa!!!

[edited by - burning_ice on May 1, 2003 1:42:45 PM]

I think it is kind of funny that this a game development forum and I only saw one post that said anything about PLAYING video games. Personally I spend my free time playing video games, mostly old NES or SNES games like all of the Final Fantasy series before playstation and then only tactics(best one so far IMHO), dragon warrior 1-4, ALL of the Zelda''s(don''t have the cube yet) and I am awaiting in the mail Final Fantasy Origins so I can finaly play FF2 in english. If I am not playing any of those, I code. While I am travelling on the train or plane, I read a lot. Robert Jordan''s Wheel of Time series is a favorite that I am currently reading the latest book #10. I also recomend authors Eric Flint and George R.R. Martin. I am also sadly addicted to Harry Potter. I can''t really explain it, those books are just addictive.