Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANTnet

[UDP] Send to an IP

ANTnet    122
Hi, My server is to manage many clients at the same time. But I don''t manage to send to a particular IP with sendto This is the code for the server SOCKET s; SOCKADDR_IN localaddr, useraddr, tempaddr; int addrsize; s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0); addrsize = sizeof(SOCKADDR_IN); localaddr.sin_family = AF_INET; localaddr.sin_addr.s_addr = INADDR_ANY; localaddr.sin_port = htons(5000); bind(s, (LPSOCKADDR)&localaddr, sizeof(localaddr)); tempaddr.sin_family = AF_INET; tempaddr.sin_port = htons(5000); r = recvfrom(s, buf, sizeof(buf), 0, (LPSOCKADDR)&useraddr, &addrsize); ... //This sendto is working, useraddr is filled by recvfrom sendto(s, "test", 4, 0, (LPSOCKADDR)&useraddr, addrsize); //This one is not working :-( I don''t understand... tempaddr.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr("192.168.0.246"); sendto(s, "test", 4, 0, (LPSOCKADDR)&tempaddr, addrsize); The client can send to this server with no problems: s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0); localaddr.sin_family = AF_INET; localaddr.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr("192.168.0.1"); localaddr.sin_port = htons(5000); bind(s, (LPSOCKADDR)&localaddr, sizeof(localaddr)); size = sizeof(localaddr); sendto(s, buf, strlen(buf), 0, (LPSOCKADDR)&localaddr, size); How can I send to IP x.x.x.x, shall I have to create a socket for each IP I want to send something to ? Thanks ANT

x33    122
inet_addr() converts the Internet host address from the standard numbers-and-dots notation into binary data and stores it in the structure of type in_addr (not u_uint32_t):
tempaddr.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr("192.168.0.246"); // <--- this should work

Post errors you get.

"I'll be Bach!" (c) Johann Sebastian Schwarzenegger

[edited by - x33 on May 1, 2003 6:14:33 AM]

ANTnet    122
No the code you give me doesn''t work (doesn''t compile) ! And I don''t think the problem is in the client ;-) But thanks for your reply!

Basiror    241
this works fine for me

m_sendaddress.sin_family = AF_INET;
m_sendaddress.sin_port = htons(m_iPort);
m_sendaddress.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr(sz);
memset(&(m_sendaddress.sin_zero), ''\0'', 8); // zero the rest of the struct

iNumbytes=sendto(m_Socket, buf, strlen(buf), 0,(struct sockaddr *)&m_sendaddress, sizeof(struct sockaddr));

ANTnet    122
Doesn''t work, the ip specified doesn''t receive anything :-(

x33 > I don''t get any error, it''s just that I send to an ip and the client on this ip receives anything

x33    122
Are you sure, that everything is ok with you network configuration?

"I''ll be Bach!" (c) Johann Sebastian Schwarzenegger

ANTnet    122
I don''t know! I have posted my code in the first message. If you need more code just tell me what do you need. Thanks a lot.

x33    122
try adding 'addrsize = sizeof (tempaddr);' before this:
tempaddr.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr("192.168.0.246");
sendto(s, "test", 4, 0, (LPSOCKADDR)&tempaddr, addrsize);

As for the network configuration i meant firewalling, routing, etc.

"I'll be Bach!" (c) Johann Sebastian Schwarzenegger

[edited by - x33 on May 1, 2003 7:35:13 PM]

jorgander    180
for UDP, you don''t have to create a seperate socket for every peer u want to connect to.

when u call sendto, pass sizeof(struct sockaddr_in) or sizeof(SOCKADDR_IN) as the 4th parameter. it doesnt need a pointer and that way u know that it always gets the correct amount. if u dont use a constant value, then u have to make sure the variable doesnt get changed between calls to sendto.

i assume u are checking the return value from the 2nd sendto? there must be a process on the host 192.168.0.246 which is bound to port 5000. also, is tempaddr modified between when it first gets set and when u make the 2nd sendto call? i know these are elementary questions, but sometimes i waste entire evenings on forehead slappers.