Far clipping plane and skybox colliding.

Started by
4 comments, last by GekkoCube 20 years, 11 months ago
My far clipping plane is set at 30,000.0f (i placed the coma in there for readability here). When i have a certain view perspective, i notice that a portion of my skybox is not drawn because it extends beyond the far clipping plane. Before I render the skybox I disable z-buffering like this:

g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ZENABLE, D3DZB_FALSE );

but...this doesn''t do the trick. i even tried to disable the zwriteenable render state with no luck as well. I could always extend my far clipping plane even farther, but i''d rather not go that route. thanks.
Advertisement
Why not just shrink the skybox? The size of it doesn''t matter.
ok.
thanks.
but wouldn''t shrinking the skybox result in a closer-to-the-camera feel since my skybox is textured with clouds?

did you have any idea why disabling z-buffer didnt solve the problem?
Are you aware of what effect the clipping ratio has on the z-buffer, check out the help documentation for the sdk, it mentions that if your clipping ratio is a hundred then 90% of the z-buffer is spent on the closest 10% of the scene, it get worse the more you up the clipping plane ratio.
Everything I've read says you put your skybox just inside the clipping plane and when your main camera moves, the skybox moves with it.

bpopp (bpopp.net)

[edited by - bpopp on May 1, 2003 3:01:17 PM]
moving the skybox WITH the camera.
that sounds interesting. ill do that!

thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement