Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stodge

User breakpoint at code.... - help please!

I was testing my demo yesterday when my PC crashed (as it has a tendancy to do). When I rebooted and went back to testing/debugging my code I started getting a "User breakpoint" appearing. For some reason when I press F12 I get the user breakpoint (int 3), and only if I run my demo from inside Visual Studio using the F5 key (Go?). The weird thing is that F12 isn''t used by anything in my demo. I''ve tried using the debugger, but the breakpoint occurs before my program (using SDL) even registers the keypress! Am I right in thinking that the stack or heap is getting corrupted? Any suggestions for how to track this down? Thanks

You have an NT kernel based OS (i.e. Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP).

AFAIK it''s an NT kernel specific thing - when the currently active process is a debugger (i.e. like MSVC when you press F5 to debug and run the current project), and you press F12, it causes a user breakpoint.

It''s intended behaviour, nothing to worry about - just don''t try using F12 for your own stuff and debugging at the same time.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

heh, yes, that''s a feature of the debugger! (VC++ 6.0, dunno about .NET)... unfortunately i can''t remember if or how to turn it off in the MSVC Settings... i almost threw my monitor out of the window after 1 hour of useless debugging. i just switched to another key then.

It's a feature?!?!?!?!?! rofl

That would never have occurred to me. I need to hit Google for more info on this.

Thanks!

For those that are interested:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q130/6/67.asp&NoWebContent=1

[edited by - stodge on May 1, 2003 12:44:59 PM]