Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seriema

howto: knowing the subclass ?

Hi! I want to use a Factory to create my subclass objects. I'm thinking about associating the objects with names.

class Base
{
protected:
  const static std::string className;  // = "Base"

};

class Sub1 : public Base
{};   // className = "Sub1"

class Sub2 : public Base
{};   // className = "Sub2"

class SubSub2 : public Sub2
{};   // className = "SubSub2"

// somewhere in the code I want a base class pointer to a subclass

Base* pb = Factory::Create("Sub1");  // equal to pb = new Sub1();

But it's the names I'm having trouble with. Should the objects themselfs know their names? And if so, how? I thought of the className in Base. But the static will be inherited and overwritten, right? If I make it private, does it get inherited? If so then the subclass can't see it, but defining it's own name... ambiguity? And that would also work against the consistency, if I decide I want a 'className' member then I want it in all classes in the same way. A non-static would solve that but... then everyone would have a name and that's not the point, the name is the class-name. A template thing would help but... inheriting from a templated base member kinda throws away the possibility to std::vector<base*>, right? Why isn't it supported in C++ to object->GetClasName()?? *don't answer this* If anyone's wondering: I'm trying to save class-info on a file, and then read a file and recreate the class. And this subclass thing's kinda tricky. Help! I'm dying here! [edited by - Seriema on May 1, 2003 11:16:03 AM]

And if you don''t want to use RTTI but something like it, think about using pure virtual functions in the base class:

class base
{
virtual const char * GetName() = 0;
};

class typeA : public base
{
virtual const char * GetName() { return "typeA"; }
};

class typeB : public base
{
virtual const char * GetName() { return "typeB"; }
};

int main()
{
base *pBase = new typeA;

printf("name: %s\n", pBase->GetName());
}

Lantz: yeah I''ll check on that RTTI!

Sphet: thanx for reminding me to KISS :D I''ll go with that for now (until I''ve checked some more on RTTI)

"No lies of sugar can sweeten the sournes of reality"

}+TITANIUM+{ A.K.A. DXnewbie[onMIRC]