Using boost in my project

Started by
8 comments, last by antareus 20 years, 11 months ago
I want to use the signals library, and that requires building the CPP files and linking them in. How am I supposed to do this? Boost wants me to use a DLL...how stupid is that? I wanted to statically link to it, so I made a VC project and added all the CPP files in, then moved the lib file to the first project''s folder. It wouldn''t compile until I manually added the OBJ file references to the linker input options. Why is this? And what do people normally do when using a library in an open source project? Make people install it so they can edit your code? I''ve considered dropping boost for something more specific to what I''m doing, but writing a signals and slots library isn''t exactly fun.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Advertisement
Is there a reason you don''t want to use a DLL? Just build it by using the jam scripts that come with boost and everything should work fine. If someone wants to use your code, they can either use your precompiled DLL or compile it themselves (say, for another OS). In general, all they need to do is to download Boost, and I don''t think that''s too much to expect.
quote:Boost wants me to use a DLL...how stupid is that?

Build your own library, its not hard, unless...

[edited by - petewood on May 1, 2003 2:44:55 PM]
I just threw it in with the rest of the project for now. I don''t see why jam doesn''t support building static libraries though, its no more or less portable than DLLs are.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
I don''t see why you don''t support dynamic libraries.
Oh, Dll Hell?
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Extra files for people to lose? Mismatched versions?

I''m still bitter about having to use a DLL instead of a static library because the static library leaves out symbols that are unused and there isn''t much you can do to include everything.
When using LGPL libraries don''t you need to use a DLL _and_ link to it from the program so you don''t need to release your game engine source code?? I like DLL''s I don''t see what the problem is.
this place is lame
quote:Original post by deadalive
When using LGPL libraries don''t you need to use a DLL _and_ link to it from the program so you don''t need to release your game engine source code?? I like DLL''s I don''t see what the problem is.

Boost is LGPL?
Boost is actually free, not viral.

The license must meet the license requirements below. Restricted licenses like the GPL and LGPL are not acceptable.

License requirements
Must be simple to read and understand.
Must grant permission without fee to copy, use and modify the software for any use (commercial and non-commercial).
Must require that the license appear on all copies of the software source code.
Must not require that the license appear with executables or other binary uses of the library.
Must not require that the source code be available for execution or other binary uses of the library.
May restrict the use of the name and description of the library to the standard version found on the Boost web site

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement