Boost Library and Game Development

Started by
5 comments, last by bslayerw 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi All, is anyone using the boost library for commercial or hobby game development? - If yes then what parts of the library? I am particulary interesting in using the memory library (shared_ptr etc).
Advertisement
I use it! SharedPointer and Filesystem and later i will use it for threads.
I don''t use it nearly as much as I should. The shared pointer has been handy on occasion, and I use their random number stuff. I may move to their filesystem routines once I have to worry about portability. I''d be interested in seeing how others find Boost useful.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
I looked into it but my god it is big. I don't even know where to begin with it! Anyone have good links for people just starting with boost?

[edited by - deadalive on May 2, 2003 12:13:19 PM]
this place is lame
It is not that big. The libraries are designed to be used with minimum dependencies. You can use most boost libraries on their own. Just identify what you''re currently doing and look up an appropriate boost library. Each one is well documented and you have to learn very little about boost as a whole.
Thanks CoffeeMan, I was under the impression that it was one big library I had to build myself from all the individual libs.. So is it true that using some of these libs can be better than using the STL or regular C/C++??
this place is lame
No... libraries aren''t about being ''better'', they''re about giving you functionality that otherwise you''d have to write yourself. Boost just adds to standard C++ and the STL.

The best way to learn is to browse through the documentation, a library at a time, and see if any of it sounds useful to you.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement