What PC should you have for GD?

Started by
15 comments, last by abd9e4790f 20 years, 11 months ago
What is the best PC out there for Game Development and what software should you have like what OS, 3D modeling software, compiler, photo editing software, and also music producing software? And do you recommend building your own PC or going with companies like Dell, Gateway, or Alien Ware? [edited by - DIRECTXMEN on May 1, 2003 2:02:05 PM]
Advertisement
The pc requirements depend on the game engine requirements that you want. e.g. you can't code stuff like gpu programs shaders without the proper videocard that has this feature built-in.

Personally I prefer building your own pc, because it's almost always cheaper and pre-built pc's often don't fully comply with your personal needs.
Off course, prebuilt pc's from known brands are well-tested on stability, which isn't done by every computer firm that sells pc's with your own specs.

[edited by - Vich on May 1, 2003 2:04:54 PM]
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
The fastest processor, the oldest gfxcard.

.lick
It all depends on what you are doing, the only reason I personally upgrade my computer is so that I can play some high end games. For OS I think you should go with an OS that you like and fits you, not win95 or ME, all the other ones are alright, but if you like Linux, try that, plus Linux and Unix run very well on older machines.

I would agree with Vich - I preferably build my own than buy a companies because its fun, and i dont need all that printer and Free AOL shit that always comes with a new computer.

NeFrUgLe
-- NeFrUgLe
i am thinking about building my own computer. What are some tips for starting out? I would prefer to buy everything in stages over the summer instead of everything at one time due to money constraints.
I personally would prefer to build your own. OS, whatever you want, I personally use linux, because I like the way it works, if you want windows: 2000 or XP. Starting out to build your own machine, buy enough parts at first so that the thing boots, and can load an operating system, CPU, Memory, Motherboard, any drives that are required. Or even perhaps stripping an old computer and swap old for new as you get cash is a good way to gradually do it. For game development, the specs of the computer are dependant on what games you want to make, you want to create a doom 3 killer, I would suggest a SMP box, with the fastest 2 processors that you can find and probably a GeForce 3. For smaller games, single processor decent graphics card (Radeon 8500?, Geforce 3?), and enough hard disk space to get everything fit(~60-80 gigs is fine).
quote:Original post by Kickboy Face
i am thinking about building my own computer. What are some tips for starting out? I would prefer to buy everything in stages over the summer instead of everything at one time due to money constraints.

unless your first stage will consist of enough parts to make it boot like the Anonymous Poster above said, I wouldn''t recommend going that route. save your money for a while then buy it in one shot- prices on various parts are almost always going down, and you''ll be kicking yourself if while you''re buying a monitor the CPU you bought earlier got $50 cheaper.
You''re probably right. I really want to build my own. I would rather know what is on my computer than having some company load a bunch of crap on it that I have no idea what purpose it serves. I have been through two Gateways and I don''t really want to buy another fully-assembled machine. Plus, it will give me something else to do over the summer. Does it really save money in the long run than paying for a Dell or something similar?
quote:Original post by Kickboy Face
Does it really save money in the long run than paying for a Dell or something similar?

That''s actually very debatable these days. IMHO the biggest advantage to building your own is knowing that every little piece is what you want--and knowing it''s quality.

Companies like Dell have the advantage of buying in bulk, which cuts their costs. They also cut corners to lower costs--which often makes it so that the only place you can buy upgrades from is the place you bought it from(which can cost you)as they sometimes have custom parts.
Everyone explained the hardware part (Besides the O.S.) now for the software I'll tell you what I have/use to give you an idea.

Compiler:
VC++

Image editors:
Photoshop
Paint Shop Pro

Music Production:
Fruity Loops 3.5 (Awesome)

3D Modelers:
Maya 4.5 Unlimited
3D Studio Max 4
Lightwave
Poser 4/5
Bryce 4

I don't know if poser and bruce actually fall into modelling, but they're well worth the mention. Those are some to consider, but a little pricey. (Loans out the butt )

Good luck on building your computer!

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on May 1, 2003 12:57:49 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement