initializing a char* with a string literal

Started by
16 comments, last by nathan123 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Viquel
In fact you don't wast memory.
If you call 10 times the function testMethod("HELLO"), it will create the HELLO string 10 time but once at a time, during the function call. The string will be automaticly released when the function will return.

Sorry Viquel but you're talking nonsense. Please remove your post to avoid misleading others.

Anyway, just to add some stuff that hasn't been mentioned previously:

#include <iostream>void testMethod( char *word){    std::cout<< word << "\n";    word[1] = 'u';// modify string that has been passed    std::cout<< word << "\n";}  

int main(){    char hello[] = "Hello";//creates an array of size 6 with values Hello\0                // where \0 is a single terminating character    testMethod(hello);// passes a pointer to the array, hello, which is our own copy of "Hello"    char* hell = "Hell";// creates a pointer to the constant string Hell\0                // which is stored somewhere in your executable                // It is a constant and you're not allowed to change it//  testMethod(hell);//crash! (uncomment this to see a crash)    const char* nice = "Safe!";//  testMethod(nice);// this line won't compile because testMethod takes a non-const                // pointer to a char. The compiler can't be sure it won't be modified                // so won't let you pass it.                // This is safe. If you make testMethod only take a const char* you                // can pass 'nice' but can't modify it in the function.    return 0;}  

The moral of the story is, if you're taking a pointer to a string literal then make it a const char*. Otherwise you could run into trouble somewher down the line.

Better yet, use std::string.

[edited by - petewood on May 1, 2003 6:27:15 PM]
Advertisement
Thanks for your help.
quote: char hello[] = "Hello";//creates an array of size 6 with values Hello\0 // where \0 is a single terminating character testMethod(hello);// passes a pointer to the array, hello, which is our own copy of "Hello" char* hell = "Hell";// creates a pointer to the constant string Hell\0 // which is stored somewhere in your executable // It is a constant and you''re not allowed to change it// testMethod(hell);//crash! (uncomment this to see a crash)

I''ve been told that writing:>

char string[];

and

char* string;

is just the same thing. But just to clear my doubts I tried your example and my program didn''t crash it worked just fine.
But this could perhaps be a compiler thing?

In the next 80 years 6 billion people will die...
I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.
quote:Original post by pag
I''ve been told that writing:>

char string[];

and

char* string;

is just the same thing. But just to clear my doubts I tried your example and my program didn''t crash it worked just fine.
But this could perhaps be a compiler thing?

Ah... relying on compilers to tell you what is correct is the path to confusion. (by the way, did you uncomment the lines to make it crash?)

char letters1[] = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
will create a character array of size 27 (26 letters in the alphabet and a terminating null character). This will be created during the running of the program. The string of characters "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" will be copied into it. It will be its own copy which is modifiable. The string "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" is not modifiable.

char* letters2 = 0;
will create a pointer to a character and set it to point to nothing

letters2 = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
will set the pointer to point to the constant string literal.

you can see letters1 and letters2 are very diffferent things. letters1 points to its own memory and can do what it wants. letters2 points to someone elses memory.
quote: NOTE: char* is the same as char[]

The quote above was found at www.cplusplus.com, the exact URL to the page which was saying this is:> http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/tut3-2.html . And you can find the above in the end of the page..

So what? are they wrong?

oh and this is the code I wrote:>

#include <iostream.h>void myfunc(char* str){	str[0] = '0';	std::cout << str;}int main(int, char**){	char  str1[] = "Hellowigjgioegoergier";	char* str2   = "Byeewfhewhfouwreewr";		myfunc(str1);	myfunc(str2);		std::cin.ignore();	return 0;} 

[edited by - pag on May 2, 2003 7:02:02 AM]
quote:oh and this is the code I wrote:>

I don't believe that is the exact code as it has the old <iostream.h> header file rather than the standard <iostream>. It wouldn't compile.

And so the battle of the compilers begins.

If you change it to the correct header under MSVC 6.0 service pack 4, you get a crash in debug mode and (cough) no problems in release mode. Other versions of the compiler and other compilers may give you differing results.

The fact is, in terms of the C++ language (if that's what you want to learn), it's wrong to modify a string literal and the behaviour is undefined if you do.

BTW the quote about char* being the same as char[] is in the context of the functions they were talking about. Anywhere you can pass a char* you can pass a char[] instead. They aren't 'the same' same. They are different as I've said now a few times.

[edited by - petewood on May 2, 2003 9:42:09 AM]
quote:I don't believe that is the exact code as it has the old header file rather than the standard . It wouldn't compile.

eh... well it did compile and works very good. And I don't have a <iostream> file, it's named <iostream.h>. And I think it's the same for all borland c++ 5.5 command tools users out there.

and the code I posted above was taken directly from my editor...
oh and the same code worked perfectly fine with printf also...

[edited by - pag on May 2, 2003 12:43:53 PM]
quote:Original post by pag
eh... well it did compile and works very good. And I don't have a <iostream> file, it's named <iostream.h>. And I think it's the same for all borland c++ 5.5 command tools users out there.

Borland does not support the old headers. iostream.h is iostream and including <iostream> will include the file iostream.h.

It is recommended that you use <iostream> not <iostream.h> as the second is technically inaccurate.

Enigma

[edited by - Enigma on May 2, 2003 5:35:07 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement