Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lantz

Parametric race track generation

Hi there. How would I generate a parametric race track (wipeout-style)? What I would like is to be able to have a list of segments and specify something like segment length and segment curvature. I would also need some formulas to get the normal and similiar stuff of any point on the track. Does anyone know of any resources which deals with stuff like this or does anyone have any hints on how do achieve this? Regards, Lantz

well I have no experience in the area. But as the tracks are static, normals wont be a problem. If you can''t find a better way then you can always work it out from the triangle data pre-game.

As for the actual track, have you tried looking at the Wipeout track files. I don''t have either of the versions I have installed, but if you really want I can and send you over a track file, if possible.

If you want to design it with a string of sections, then I would have a string of points, which you would interpolate between. Each point would have a normal of course for curved tracks. If you can interpolate a line between them all, you can easily use the direction and normal of the line at a certain point to widen the track. Although I don''t think I''d use this approach myself, it may get awfully complicated, when adding track sides and things and having transitions between track types.

quote:
Original post by higherspeed
As for the actual track, have you tried looking at the Wipeout track files. I don't have either of the versions I have installed, but if you really want I can and send you over a track file, if possible.

Not a bad idea, might be hard to understand the format though. I actually have wipeout 3 laying around so you dont have to send a track file, thanks anyway.
quote:
Original post by higherspeed
If you want to design it with a string of sections, then I would have a string of points, which you would interpolate between. Each point would have a normal of course for curved tracks. If you can interpolate a line between them all, you can easily use the direction and normal of the line at a certain point to widen the track. Although I don't think I'd use this approach myself, it may get awfully complicated, when adding track sides and things and having transitions between track types.

Hmm yea I guess that could become quite complicated. Still it would be pretty neat, it would have some advantages, generating different LOD-levels wouldnt be a problem at all, and I would think collission detection would become easier (and faster) if one have the track in parametric form. I think I will experiment with this approach.

A new question then, how do I do that interpolation? Im really crappy at stuff like this, I only know basic linear algebra.

[edited by - Lantz on May 2, 2003 7:25:44 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think you should try out bezier splines. They should be perfect for this kind of things.