RTS on the GBA??

Started by
4 comments, last by tordyvel 20 years, 11 months ago
Why aren''t there any RTS on the GBA? There are only turnbased strategy games. Isn''t the GBA powerfull enough or would it not be good on the GBA? I think it would be really fun to play red alert whenever I''m traveling
Advertisement
Ever try to play an RTS on a console before? It doesn''t work that well, I can only assume the GBA would be even more awkward.
[url = "http://geekmangames.com"]GeekMan Games[url]
There is at least one RTS for GBA (played it as demo, can't remember the name). The resolution provided a big problem. Not only is it lower than the old DOS VGA (which made Warcraft 1 and Command & Conquer cramped), the small screen size forces the sprites to be larger than their DOS counterparts just to be visible. Control was also a serious issue, as using the D-Pad as a mouse was extremely slow and cumbersome (It took about the same time to issue orders as it did in Dune II). Consoles have never really been good for RTS games, mostly due to the primitive controllers. Turn based seems to work much better on GBA (ie. Advance Wars).

EDIT: It was Mech Platoon that I got a chance to play.

[edited by - michalson on May 1, 2003 6:41:27 PM]
An theres always Advanced Wars too.

J s -W a r e
Almost Js-Ware.net
There´s one RTS for GBC, I think it´s called WarLock.
quote:Original post by IrateGoldfish
Ever try to play an RTS on a console before? It doesn''t work that well.
That''s true, but you have to take into account the fact that these were all ports from the PC. Perhaps if some console specific RTS were developed, with well designed interfaces, they would be more successful. Like you and others said, though, the resolution of the GBA would definitely be a problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement