Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Village Idiot

Direct X - The best way to implement graphics?

I''m starting to get the hang of a lot of the C++ language, not needing to check the solutions to example questions to get them right Anyway, I think it''s about time I started making a simple game. Is 2d pong using direct X a good place to start? Is there a better project for a beginner? Is ''Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus'' a good book to start with? Thanks Oh and btw, I''ve recently been emailing this girl at a developing studio - she says that it''s very difficult for programmers to become game designers. Publishers like to keep programmers where they are because their skills are needed. They prefer people with backgrounds in economics to produce concepts that will sell apparently. Stuffing feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

from the title of this post I thought you were asking for a flame war, lol.

DirectX and OpenGL are perfectly viable options. I''m choosing DirectX because of it being an API with more than just graphics in, but it has a much higher initial learning curve to it.

OpenGL is easier to dive into but its only graphics, so you''ll have to use something else for the sound (like OpenAL), input, networking etc.

I read somewhere that John Carmack from Id uses OpenGL for the graphics and DirectX for everything else. Thats one viable option...

Well, I am fairly new to the whole graphics thing, also. I've pretty much been doing lots of "backbone" programming, the logic itself, if you will, and got into graphics only recently - about three months ago, or so. So take my advice for what its worth.

But what I did was: I first started learning OpenGL. It isn't that hard once you get the hang of what's going on. I wrote a couple of simplistic games with it - a pong clone, a tetris clone, and a pacman clone. After being done with that, I went on to DirectX. Admittedly, it is harder to learn from the get-go, but I think that having a certain amount of understanding of what's going on with a graphics library is a good way to get a head-start. I think if I hadn't any experience with OpenGL, DirectX would have been much harder to learn still.

But again, I am by no means a professional with graphics programming, so that may be a wrong way to go.

[edited by - vovansim on May 1, 2003 11:06:12 PM]