Win32 alternatives for cross-platform

Started by
5 comments, last by nodeg 20 years, 11 months ago
What are the options? I just finished learning enough win32 to move on to making directX, and OpenGL games, and I was wondering: A lot of the OpenGL books out there teach using Win32, but I assume that there must be an cross-platform alternative. What is it? I want to make software that is as cross platform capable as possible. Also: One of the many books I''m reading: "Game programming all in one" uses 64bit variables that it states are a visual C++ invention. Is there an alternative that is more ANSI C++ compatible??? Or at least an available library I could use with other compilers?
Advertisement
I would suggest using SDL.
Ok... did some research and saw that SDL is governed by GNU licensing. Does that not mean that I''d have to make all the source available for my games that use it?
Um, actually, it is LGPL, which means that as long as you just include the SDL libraries, and don''t modify SDL at all, you don''t have to open any of your actual code.From libsdl.org''s site
quote:
#1 Include the source code for the version of SDL that you link with, as well as the full source or object code to your application so that the user can relink your application,
or
#2 Include a written offer, valid for at least three years, to provide the materials listed in option 1, charging no more than the cost of providing this distribution,
or
#3 Make the materials listed in option 1 available from the same place that your application is available.

I hope this helps you in deciding between using SDL or not.
Yeah, i read that, but I wasn''t quite sure what "the full source or object code" meant.

So what about GLUT? Is it comparable? What''s the differance/advantages/disadvantages?
That means that you can use SDL, as long as they can run your binary(SDL actually requires that the SDL libs are on all the computers your game is on). As it said in where I snipped that from, the most common form to get that is to statically link SDL code into your program and distribute it with the libraries attached, this doesn''t mean that you have to open the source of your game, if you want to do that, it is cool, but otherwise that is up to you. GLUT is just the windowing system that would be used with OpenGL if you weren''t really into the native api or SDL, it really can''t do anything other than windowing if I remember correctly, but you don''t have to distribute GLUT yourself.
How about using AllegroGL? This gives you all the features of allegro the game development library PLUS the power of OpenGL. What is more, allegro has nor restriction on its use. The licence is "gift ware" visit www.allegro.cc for more info...

------------

Does it matter? Even if it does matter, does it matter that it matters?
---------Does it matter? Even if it does matter, does it matter that it matters?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement