What do you think about MUDS

Started by
30 comments, last by TheShadow 20 years, 2 months ago
do you guys think MUD or text games are dead? I mean they are the richest in graphical content you will ever find, WOuld a commercial MUD still be popular? Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)
Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)
Advertisement
MUD''s will ALWAYS be popular. Everquest is a glorfied hack and slash style MUD.

Commercial MUDs will and are popular today. I was actually playing one while checking the recent threads . My favorite is Dragonrealms (www.dragonrealms.net). Check it out.

--Sometimes the hardest thing to do is nothing
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Peh, MUDs are useless, especially the text (telnet) ones. I can''t understand how some people could waste 12 hours a day in one of those stupid things.
A lot of people have the same feelings about a graphical MMORPG. Frankly, I think anyone who pays a monthly fee for a game is an idiot and should have been cleansed from the gene pool quite a while ago.

Regardless, coding on a MUD is a great way to learn a lot about pointers, lists, sockets, and other basic programming concepts.
MUDS are set for a long time to come. They can fit in more actual content than graphical games faster and with less bulk, even though the basic gameplay is limited by the interface and there isn''t so much room for action-oriented play.
THanks guys very interesting replies i think ill continue on making one

Hey Michalson! I''ve piddled away a good two months of my life making a mud and i resent your blatant generalization that muds are useless on the following grounds:

1) They provide an arena in which nerds can feel important (ie the wizards who run the mud)

3) ummmm, on second thought maybe i should re-evaluate my life-choices.

But seriously folks,

At the very least, you can learn a lot about design making a mud. I know working on mine before i entered college has given me a significant edge over my classmates.
I''m not a huge fan of MUDs, but I''ve found some fun in the past. I''ve also heard of numerous very innovative MUDs.

If nothing else, they provide an excellent means of testing incentivization to see what kind of behaviors it will produce among the players.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement