Trigger Design Part One: Innovative RPG Battle Systems

Started by
42 comments, last by Trigomaq 20 years, 7 months ago
One of the best combat systems in an rpg i''ve ever seen is in Panzer Dragoon Saga on the sega saturn.

In the fight sequance you had 3 energy bars that would fill up over time, one after the other. Each combat option required a different number of bars to be filled before it could be executed. for example:

Use Item: 1 bar
Shoot: 1 bar

Special Attack: 2/3 bars (depending on the attack).

Now, seeing as you''re flying on a bloody great dragon at the time, you could move around the enemy (4 positions - front, back, left and right). Different enemies had weak points located at different locations, to it was vital to move out of the way. Also, some enemies could only target you from the side, some fron the front, etc.

However, this is when the beauty of the system comes in. When you''re moving from location to location, you''re energy bars don''t charge until you get there. The enemy also has it''s own set of bars too (which charge at a different rate to yours), meaning it''s attacks are powering up while you''re trying to get into position.

Quite often the weak-points on the enemy were on the same side as it''s most powerful attacks, meaning that by the time you''ve got around to target the weak spot, you''re energy bars are barely full and the enemy as a fully-charged gauge waiting to anihalate you

Just an idea. Grandia 2 used a similar system, and i think that can be picked up on the PC for about £10 now
Advertisement
if i was to design an RPG combat system it would ethier be real-time or real-time with pause ability. it depends on the characters, hot-keys and control over your party.i would make it so every skill could be used. Like the game Evil Islands (kinda old i know) has a backstab skill that u can olny use efectifly about twice in the game. special abilities or spells would be used with varying effects depending on your class skills etc. i would also make it possible to defeat a high level monster or character with a lower level one so like in multplayer someone whose 20 levels higher than u can still be defeated and the game takes on straegy instead of levels.
___________________________________________________________ DADDY LONG LEGZ HERE! novice java programmer :-)feel free to email me or my SN for AIM is JHHIM
...and there is the insane Dragon Force (Saturn) battle system.

DF isn''t a RPG, it''s a pure strategy/conquering game. The player rules a kingdom, and has several generals. Each general can command up to 100 units. Then you can have your generals move in batallions in the map, from city to city, from castle to castle. When two battalions meet, you pick which general is gonna fight.

The fight is set in a large horizontal field, each general in each side, with all their troops. Then the player chooses the basic formation and issue the first order to the troops.

From that point on, the game will not pause. The troops will carry their formations and commands, and new commands, to ALL units (no micro maangement - it''s a damn bloody battle, thus the general can only yell basic orders to everyone). Like assume a new formation and so on.

The generals can also use techniques and spells, some of which will go through the whole battle field and smash everyone in their ways until it hits the enemy general.

And, there''s the "MELEE" command, where all units will go beserk. You cannot issue them further commands, and each unit will fight with their lives. It''s a nice things to see, all those units battling the shit out of each other.

When they all die, the commanders will duel, in a crippled fighting game.
I''m fond with the idea of character transformation and evolution during combat. Character mergers are also cool. I can''t wait when I become a game designer!

~~~ Signature: ~~
Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry.
~~~ Signature: ~~"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)"God is a game designer too and his game, 'Life' " - Me"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement