Isometric vs. Top View Square View

Started by
8 comments, last by yaroslavd 20 years, 10 months ago
Why does everyone use the isometric view? How is it better than a rectangular map? Do the benefits of an isometric engine overweigh its complexity and hardness?
Advertisement
Isometric looks much better, and allows you to view the sides of the objects as well. A top down persoective won''t let you see things such as doors, etc.

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
Isometric is about as close to 3D as you can get with 2D. It looks loads better and more realistic. The downside is that it''s no where near the simplicity that top-down graphics will give you.
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
I have to disagree that isometrics(diamond-type) look better since that is a matter of taste. Isometric(diamond-type) maps are just square maps rotated for a different perspective. It is possible to do the same thing with square tiles if the art reflects a rotated view however I think it would be more difficult than using iso tiles. Using hexagonal (isohex $TANSTAAFL$)tiles I will admit offers a much nicer look and feel than quadrilateral(sp?) tiles but it comes at the price of more complexity. The visuals are just what you see and are a large part of the feel of the game, but more importantly is that the guts behind it work properly and feel right to the player. Good graphics don''t mean squat if the game just isn''t fun or handles like a slug on ice.
Evillive2
I agree with ya man. (But I still prefer iso much more)
Thank you for your replies. I understand that iso probably looks better. However, I don''t think it''s worth the effort right now.
If you''ve never done a tile engine of any sort you should start with square top-down style. Get some experience with all the various (often unanticipated) stumbling blocks. Once you''re familiar, you''ll be ready for more complex engines.
What I would do if I were you would be to start with rectangular tiles and essentially do what starcraft did, which is make square tiles look isometric. It depends on taste, but this is what I will do for my games.
I personally like flat, non-isometric tile-based games. Ultima 5
is my favorite game of all time, and I deeply regret buying
Ultima 7 when it came out. I just recently picked up Planescape:
Torment, and the complex storyline is not enough to distract me
from the faults in the interface. It is not a feature to have to
pixel-hunt for your own character (U7) nor wave the mouse around
to distinguish between walls and floors (PS:T).

I prefer clarity over realism (and the screenshots I''ve seen of
Neverwinter Nights don''t look all that realistic to me), which is
where I seem to part company with nearly the rest of the world.
Looking around this site a bit, it seems that most people here
don''t believe anyone would want to write or play a non-isometric
game.

Are there any good resources (ideally websites) about writing
non-isometric games? I really think someone should make an
Open Source game engine to give people a starting point. I''m
even willing to help, though my skills may not be up to the task.
I have a BSCS, but I''ve never (successfully) finished a graphical
application.

--KG
Yo know it depends on how you actually draw out your map first on paper and then transfer that information to the computer.
I am an extreme visualist.I see everything I draw out in my mine in 3d with tons of color but when it comes out on paper it just looks black and white.I took me two full years to draw and color my very first rpg first person adventure game due to the lack of computer knowledge even for my age at 14 through 16 years old but it never stopped me to actually visulize the true game ideas that were inside me to creat something so interesting.The neat thing about the drawing that takes up 131/2 feet long of my living room floor is that it was fun and takes patience and long hours to strive for something so mind blowing.I was eating ,drinking,sleeping and eyeopening every minute of the day when i started and finished my game project.So like I it all depends on how you visualize your ideas from paper or just started out from scratch on computer programs.Just fight your project or it wont come out the way you want it and you could get headaches. After experience from me I had pleaning just trying to think up new ideas and concept titles for the gaming industry when I get my company up in the near future.I am always striving myself to become better the first game or previous idea before I move on to more detailed game titles.Good Luck and enjoy your creations and ideas come to life.

^ ^
^ ^ Jumping Lizard

Jumping lizard
Jumping lizard

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement