Isometric in DirectX 9 anyone?

Started by
8 comments, last by traskjd 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I''m new to programming in directx and game programming and I would really like to develop an isometric tiling game. I have built one before using Delphi. I have read in a few places how DX8 and above aren''t that great for 2D programmers. HOWEVER, I want to use DirectX9 because - while I''m not so hot on maths - I would like to get into basic 3D graphics so my logic is that using DirectX 9 would be good. The question is - Where can I find information about building an isometric tiling engine in DirectX9? I don''t want it to be obviously 3d - I want it to look something like transport tycoon. I would *really* like some information from you guys! (links to info - your own info etc) Visit www.traskmicrosystems.com and get a free blog
Advertisement
DX9 is good for 2D Programmers, since DirectDraw is back!

.lick
Exactly what changes have been made to DirectDraw then? The interfaces are still version 7.
[ PGD - The Home of Pascal Game Development! ] [ Help GameDev.net fight cancer ]
Well you dont use the DirectDraw7 interface, you use Direct3D9 but somehow you can get to a IDirect3DSurface9 that is your backbuffer...right? I saw it in the docs or something...

Brian J
Brian J
quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
DX9 is good for 2D Programmers, since DirectDraw is back!
Umm, DirectDraw never left!

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

You have a few options. You can go 100% 3D and make the game look 2D. You can make it 3D with 2D sprites (advantage: math done for you). You can use DirectDraw and go true 2D.

The newer versions of Dx all support DirectDraw7, they just haven't added to it, so using it would work fine.

I use DirectDraw a lot (love it), but I use VB so these links may or may not be helpful:
http://www.directx4vb.com
http://www.rookscape.com/vbgaming/tutorials.php

[edited by - JNewt on May 2, 2003 8:07:22 AM]
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
since you have already used delphi, you may want to use it now too. there some nice directX-wrappers around that let you do 2d-stuff using the 3d-hardware (fast alpha-blending ..) while hiding all the messy direct3d things. take a look into the turbo-forum here for more information.
Thanks guys - this info is really helpful.

The wrappers sound good - when I used delphi I used the DelphiX wrappers (made is so damn simple - but they weren''t getting updated so I wanted to make the move).

I''m a little annoyed at how slowly directx9 tutorials are coming out though.

Thanks anyway.

I would really like to make a completely 2D game to be honest and skip the 3D all together (since this is my first games related project with C++).

Any tutorials etc on DirectDraw in DirectX 9?

Visit www.traskmicrosystems.com and get a free blog
I may be mistaken but DirectDraw hasn''t been updated since DirectX7. Dx 8 and 9 support it for backwards compatibility but it''s DirectDraw7 still. So you don''t need new tutorials.
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
Ah k - great :D

Thanks for your input

Visit www.traskmicrosystems.com and get a free blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement