Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpinzs

A great Game Idea

I got an idea for a game but I need to know if it is possible or not. And if it is then all games from now on are probubly going to be like it. I was thinking of making a game that you can play but it can build itself. Like if you put a scripting language in it so whan you go to a town and do things in the town then it will make the game longer and mkae more levels for you. If you know what I mean. Example: If you grow an tree it will gorw and then when it buds out and gets seeds then when they hit the ground they will also grow. Example 2: IF you you die then you get born agin as some one elsa or something elsa and what ever you did in your pervios life it will afect you are still be there. like cutting down a tree. Example 3: you can chop down trees and build houses and stuff. and melt rock and make sowrds. It also is first/third person Example 4: It just makes the game grow so it never ends and you have unlimted options well what do you think?

It''s feasable but it would require an enourmous amount of resources to both create and run it, and remember, a game has to be fun to get people to buy it and you haven''t described the gameplay.

"And if it is then all games from now on are probubly going to be like it"

That would be boring, I don''t want every game to be the same!

quote:
Original post by nodeg
There was a D&D title that was similar to what you speak of. You could generate random dungeons and go through them. It was pretty cool.

Larn? Hack? Moria? Nethack? Angband?

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

I don''t know how much programming you know and can do. But I strongely suggest that you try and do your idea. But! Start simple and small. Say, make an app and speed the time so you would see some kind of erosion and evolusion in your app. From there you just built up the nature of your whole program, keep expanding and expanding. Or, you could make a small portion of humans, say somewhere around 100 persons. Then make them all, how should I say it. Expand? Make them intelligent enough to name their own children etc and keep building.
Just some couple of ideas if you REALLY want to try and do it. But don''t tell me I didn''t warn you, because it''s a HUGE project!!

- Patrik Willbo

The Lord says He can get me out of this mess, but He''s pretty sure you''re fucked.
- Stephen (Braveheart)

quote:
Original post by nodeg
There was a D&D title that was similar to what you speak of. You could generate random dungeons and go through them. It was pretty cool.

I think that game was Dungeon Hack?

I''m starting to get really anyoid and tired of your ignorance. I don''t think he actually asked if there was any game already created that had the similarites of his idea. I mean, if you decide to make an FPS/RPG, I could easily say that it has already been done, sorry. Come up with a new idea. He asked if it was possible and probably wanted some advice on how to do it. I don''t think he want''s to know how GameCube is spellt, that is so of topic I think I''m gonna puke.
At least give him a hint where to start. Okay, I don''t find anything wrong with telling him that the idea is similar to another game, but please do expand that statement abit.
Ignorance is something I just can''t stand, he''s trying to learn and he hasn''t asked anyone to do it for him. So please, if you do know, help him instead. Isn''t that what this forum is for?

- Patrik Willbo

The Lord says He can get me out of this mess, but He''s pretty sure you''re fucked.
- Stephen (Braveheart)

There was something I read a while ago while browsing a book store. It was about an "unlimited" universe. I think it was done for a game on the c64. Anyway It was a while ago that I read it, but the jist of it was that you have a world building algorithm that you feed some numbers to create and modify the world. Then when you want to load the world back up you just give it back the origional numbers and advance x number of times. Anyway this is all really hazy at the moment because it was a long time ago and I just skimmed it in the book store, but this is kind of what you are looking for.

------------------------------
p.s. excuse me english. im from L.A.

quote:
Original post by the_serp
This is a great idea but is impossible at the moment but i do hope u find a way to do it.

I hope you''re joking, its very possible. If you can procedurally generate a planet with a 64 bit random seed, you can procedurally generate just about most types of game content that you require.

This is a commonly shared idea... a fully interactive virtual reality world where everything works as does in our physical world. A program where all of the laws of nature and physics are programmed into a simple engine. Imagine, discoveries being made, how to split the atom, in a virtual reality lab where if the consequences are bad, you just erase the memory and try again. Incredible. Probably not to far off. Using classes to create an atom class that can be simply moved about? Molecular displacement, and so on.

Of course an incredible game is possible 2

Guest Anonymous Poster
People will say that things are impossible. The people that don''t listen to them are the ones that _may_ prove that it is possible.

It might be good if everyone on gamedev read this:
http://www.cliffyb.com/rants/have-great-ideas.shtml

Does any one have any suggestions on how I could get started?
Darkawakenings is right in what I won’t to accomplish.
So is willbo.
Fist I want to make some land, water and sky. Then put some animals in and plants etc. then put in a man and women. You know like Adam and Eve. Then go from there. Also put some NPC''s in to interact with. You will be able to do what ever you want and expand the world the way you want. Also there will be some AI type for the world like water and sky so it will have volcanoes and such buy it self and a weather engine. Also the NPC''s will live die and be born on there own. It will start simple and small and as you play the game grows you can also edit it but what fun would that be. You want it random and by it self so you will never know what is around the bend.
As I think about it the more I get the details worked out.
Like you first edit the character you want to play then you start new game. When you exit it will save. When you start again it will ask
New game - continue game - play as new player but in existing world -
In the options you can put any npc in you want.
IF any body has any other ideas suggestions can you pleas post it. Or just a comment

This game would require some pretty weird AI. Have you ever heard of "genetic programming?" That would probably be good for this game.

--------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down...

quote:
Original post by raging_jakl
[quote]Original post by nodeg
I think that game was Dungeon Hack?

That's the one.

[edited by - nodeg on May 2, 2003 12:01:28 AM]

[edited by - nodeg on May 2, 2003 12:01:55 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
While you can procedurally generate any content you want, how will you guarantee that it will be FUN?

A well-designed game takes years of work by dozens of people who tune as much as they can to make the game enjoyable. If there''s a rough spot, it gets cut away. If there''s a good thing, a trained eye will find it and expand on it.

Every procedural everything that I''ve seen has either been entirely incongrous, and thus boring, or exceedingly monotonous (and thus borning).

There are no grantees in anything. But have you not wanted to go into a building and see what was going on in some game or another. In this you will be able to. it will also have high end graphics. I am also making a document on the game and if you have any other questions comments suggestions or concerns.

My very own game design and game engine
Fist it will be self expanding all interactive game engine. The games will fully interactive.
So depending on were you start, generally what will happen is that the world will start small and expand by it self. You give it the necessary things and expand from that. Ex1
Also what you do will stay in the game it just becomes another game object, texture or NPC’s you can have kids and they will grow old and die. Kill any one you want to and marry who you want. Also there will be if you want all the you also will be able to go inside every building you see and interact with every object you find and talk to every one you meet. There also will be back ground music if wanted.
You say it is pretty cool but not unique enough. Well how about this. You can type things to the npc’s and they will reply in sound to what ever you type just like the famous Eliza program.
You say that is cool but who likes typing.
Well if you want to you can train the voice requntion system so you can talk and not type or point and click to interact with npc’s ex4
Game Options
1. You can start a new world or play in a pre maid one.
2. You can make your own character or use an existing one
3. Make your own buildings or use ones already made
4. You start at what are you decide or the game decides
5. You can die and start over or continue as a new person but in same world
Examples
1. A tree grows and gets seeds. Seeds hit the ground and depending on lots of variables they will grow or not grow and become big trees or die as younglings.
2. There will be weather to change your world and also volcanoes earthquakes and other things
FAQ.
Questions about the game etc
1. Q. Are other games going to use things from this one?
A. Most likely they will make them 100% interactive environment going any were doing any thing you want and also self expanding
2. Q. how will you guarantee that it will be FUN?
A.
3. Q. what is the point in playing this when it is just like real life?
A. Think about this you can kill with out getting into real life trouble. You can do what you want in the game world that you fantasies doing in the real world.
4 .Q wont it be to complicated doing everything your self
A You can use already made world with goals and everything but still do what you want in the infinite universe
The code to be used.
Will be programmed in Assembly, c++, and might even be direct X
Types of AI
Genetic Programming
Fuzzy logic
Nero networks
Other technologies
Voice recnishon
Games that it will be like
Deus ex /2
Max pain
Other ideas.