• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nirklas

object oriented game engine architecture

This topic is 5521 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are your thoughts on how to design a "general purpose" game engine? I know, general purpose is difficult, think maybe a 1942-type-of-game. But it''s the general design of the game engine that i''m interested in, not so much the graphics-engine, or the AI or the input-engine, but how they interact. What parts are MUST-HAVE? what parts are SHOULD-HAVE? COULD-HAVE? and, as I mentioned, how should they interact? Which patterns are useful? Where to use them, and WHY? For example... * Which part is responsible for creating / deleting new objects (enemies, powerups, projectiles etc)? * Should I have a common interface to control the entities that both the AI, the input-engine and the network-engine utilizes? etc, etc I''d like a general discussion on game engine architecture. =) i think this is the one part of game developing that there''s still very hard to find good articles / information about. I''ve got some ideas regarding some parts of an engine, but I think I want to hear some of your thoughts first... /Niklas Andersson Sweden

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,594,00.asp

Ahh, well... I''ve been there ...and read that.
...and it''s not excactly what I''m looking for.

I''m more interested in game-engines object-oriented design

/Niklas Andersson
Sweden

Take a look at OGRE:

http://ogre.sourceforge.net

Pretty nice OO design they have there. Not sure how fast/efficient/etc it is.

Might give you an idea or two

[edited by - tyson on May 3, 2003 9:58:39 AM]

quote:
Original post by Nirklas
What parts are MUST-HAVE?
what parts are SHOULD-HAVE?
COULD-HAVE?
and, as I mentioned, how should they interact?

Which patterns are useful? Where to use them, and WHY?

For example...
* Which part is responsible for creating / deleting new objects (enemies, powerups, projectiles etc)?

* Should I have a common interface to control the entities that both the AI, the input-engine and the network-engine utilizes?

etc, etc

I''d like a general discussion on game engine architecture. =)
i think this is the one part of game developing that there''s still very hard to find good articles / information about.

I''ve got some ideas regarding some parts of an engine, but I think I want to hear some of your thoughts first...

Just a few notes on what I did:
- The program controls the Game engine, which controls all "sub-engines" (Graphics, sound, input) by telling them when to do their job and with what.
- The game engine also controls all physics, the game loop, etc. It has functions like UpdateInput() which call those "sub-engines". Another function I used was PlaySound(int SoundIndex, ....) which played a loaded sound.
- OOP is the best way to go. Have similarly named functions in each engine (ex. Init, Unload, Draw/Paint, Move, etc).

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
- OOP is the best way to go.

A bold statement, a bold statement indeed. Before you make such a statement you should define what you mean by best .

- Damage Inc.

Another good thing to look at is the ''engine exports'' code in the Half-Life SDK. It should give you an idea of the kind of services a game engine makes available to the game. It''s not OO (at all - one big structure of function pointers ) - but it''s worth a look.

I *really* need to get my first few articles up

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

quote:
Original post by Tyson
Take a look at OGRE:

http://ogre.sourceforge.net

Pretty nice OO design they have there. Not sure how fast/efficient/etc it is.

Might give you an idea or two

[edited by - tyson on May 3, 2003 9:58:39 AM]

This is a graphics engine, not a GAME engine.

"Five passengers set sail that day, for a three hour tour, a three hour tour...."

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!