object oriented game engine architecture

Started by
18 comments, last by Nirklas 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Damage_Incorporated
A bold statement, a bold statement indeed. Before you make such a statement you should define what you mean by best .

Best as in best solution compared to other solutions available (due to compatibility, flexability and easability ).

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
hiya

I recently was having the same problem... how should things
interact with each other... I still havent got a perfect solution but I now know though a lot more about it...

What im doing in my engine is making virtualy every system derived from a pure virtual class, this alows me to add new
features when ever I want and easily change, or even remove other systems... for example, I have a basic inout class that uses GetAsyncKeyState() and such, and then a direct input class
that uses DikDown()... all I have to do to change witch one I want to use is to point the virtual class at either wich one.

This goes for entitys as well and any other system in the game.
Something I was having trouble with, was "how do you load certain
functionality for the AI and such and know what objects are in the game?"... my solution: Lua! (www.lua.org)

AI, physics, rendering, etc all are and should be seperate form each other, but there still conected by thru the octree system
and the scene manager. My collision system works (or will work) by testing whats around the entitys ina certain radius (collision test1) and then after you get a list of the objects that your close by, then you do a more advanced collision test (ie, BB test) or such, all you need to handle collision responce, is to be able to get the objects velocity, "bouncyness", etc and possable what type of object it is: (ie. a explosion, a NPC)
etc...

Also, what I have is a global octree that holds all other octrres, both static and dynamic, and when an explosion or such occurs, it uses this global octree to get every to get a list of every object in a certain radius, gets the distance to each object and then "applys damage" accordingly.

The most important thing though is (to me anyways), if you really want a powerfull engine that alows for many games to be made using it and be very flexable, you'll want to use a scitping engine! it is almost a must for modern day games. and
it helps so much! I would strongly recommend you read the lua
article (if you havent already), a great read, and really helps you get started.

Ok, now as for AI, what Im planning is to have some basic classes for different object types (flying, driving, walking,
triggered objects, etc) and then extending upon this in the script, like maybe pseudo script :

if(playerposition is within trigger area)
opendoor(1.2); //1.2, speed it opens at
else
do nothing...

ok, now this is very basic stuff, but implementing this functionality in the engine may be another story.

fewww, im getting tired

well, I hope this helps, and if it confusses you just forget about what you have read these are meerly my own ideas that
Im going with.

GoodLuck

"your all going to die down here" - Resident Evil

[edited by - yodaman on May 5, 2003 3:40:06 PM]
www.jinx.com www.thebroken.org www.suprnova.org www.mozilla.org
Resident Evil is the worst film I''ve ever seen.
I gather Kevin and Perry Go Large is the worst film ever. But avoiding it at all costs I wouldn''t be able to say.
its always fun to see dumb comments people make...
www.jinx.com www.thebroken.org www.suprnova.org www.mozilla.org
Thanks for all replys.

Since I want this "engine", or framework, I think framework is a better word, ...anyway. Since I want this framework to be as generic as possible it will inheritly be very lightweight.

So far I've only got brief ideas about how the Game-object is going to work.

The design for the InputManager though is really getting there.

It'll look something like this pseudo-codeish snippets....
class CInputEvent{	Event mEvent;	//Event is an enumeration of keys/axii	ASuitingType mEventData;...};class IInputListerner{	virtual bool ProcessInput(const InputEvent&) = 0;	//returns true if the object used the input};class CInputManager{public:	bool Update();	//retrieves data from the input devices and generate a list of InputEvents	bool ProcessInput();	//delegates the InputEvents in the list to the registered listeners	RegisterListerner(const IInputListener *, bool top=false);	UnregisterListener(const IInputListener *);private:	LinkedList mListerners;	LinkedList<inputEvent> mCurrentEvents;...}; 

Objects that want to recieve input only have to implement IInputListener and register with the InputManager. The idea is not is that Entities should register to recieve, rather objects like ContentLayers and such (described briefly below)

As for graphics I think I'll end up with a layered approach, inspired by Scott Patterson's article in Game Programming Gems 3.

it goes something like this
CGame::GameLoop(){	...	for(each ContentLayer in list)	{		ContentLayer *pPL = get layer from iterator		pPL->Render();	}	SwapBuffers(mHDC);} 

it makes it very easy to display in-game menus and user-interfaces on top of the actual game-scene.

Other things that eventually will be included is some kind of sound-manager, logging and, of course, a manager that takes care of the window-creation. It is not going to be a multi-platform framework, not during this phase anyway. It will be aimed towards a Win32/openGL configuration.

So... what are your thought on this?
Am I making a fool out of myself? falling into each an every OOD pitfall?

/Niklas Andersson
Sweden

[edited by - nirklas on May 6, 2003 12:23:15 PM]
*bump*

Would this maybe have been a topic more relevant for the Software Engineering forum?
Nirkas, i''ve the same question as you do, that is after learning many techniques of a game engine (from our dedicated online tutors NeHe/Digiben and others) we should learn how to actually design it. All the tutorial sites have good resource on the technologies but not anything on game engine desing.
I found a design discussion on the ''OpenGL Game Programming'' book, which is a basic structure but helpful. I''m currently starting from that design hopefully it''ll help.
I wish some good programmers would put up some article on ''game engine design'' which is the first thing we need to start building an engine from.
(Remon) M. Sazzad Karim
http://www.gamearchitect.net/Articles/GameObjectRoundtable.html
Thanks a lot, Mr. Anonymous.
(Remon) M. Sazzad Karim

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement