3DStudioMax views problem... directX guilty?

Started by
2 comments, last by BlueChip 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi... I''ve a strange problem.... When I ran 3DStudio after my videogame, in all 4 view I seen distorted images of the game. But If I restarted my PC ... this problem gone away... But since 5 day ago, if I restart my pc, and run 3DStudio all 4 views are black... and nothing I can see... It''s normal? I don''t thing.... you know a solution?? Thanks ^__^ Ps: few information... -I''ve 3DS ver. 4.2 -Operative System WinXP -DirectX 9.0 -Geffo DDR with working drive
Advertisement
I think DirectX is to blame. I have similar problems. I also get issues where the XYZ labels on the co-ordinate displays in the viewports don''t show up, the labels for the VPs (top, left, front, etc) are also missing.

None of these problems occur in OpenGL or Heidi, however, in OpenGL, quite frequently if I maximise the persective VP, then minimise it again, it''ll fill with garbage, and lock the program up, which will then refuse to run in anything other then Heidi until I reboot the PC. Damn thing. I''m blaming ATI''s drivers, as my Gf4mx had no trouble with Max at all (it was just pants, so I replaced it).

I''ve tried other games (that I''ve downloaded by game.dev) and I have got same problem...

But professional games didn''t give me this error... bho... I''ve tried switch DX from debug version to retail version but my four view are always blak =(
Personally I don''t think DirectX itself is to blame:

1a) The DirectX driver for 3DS Max has a notoriously bad reputation compared to the Heidi or OpenGL ones amongst artists who only use their machines for Max stuff. I suspect the DirectX side hasn''t recieved as much attention as the others, probably due in part to older generations of professional workstation graphics cards not having DirectX drivers. BTW: running the debug DirectX runtimes and a debug viewer at the same time as Max can sometimes be amusing.

1b) Admittedly I''ve not used the newest version of Max so they''re no doubt fixing those known issues, particularly after the introduction of the D3D specific shader interfaces into the MAX SDK.

2a) In your own DirectX code, *NEVER* rely on default values for any states (renderstates, texture stage states, matrices, current texture etc) - bad device drivers and products which don''t clean up properly sometimes leave the driver/states in a bad way.

2b) It''s become accepted wisdom amongst advanced and professional D3D programmers to never rely on default values so many games/engines explicitly set EVERY state in D3D to a *KNOWN* value (i.e. the default for that application).

So IMO bad application/game programmers and bad device drivers are much more to blame.

If after restarting your PC the views are still black, then it could hint at something else being wrong with your setup: Try using WHQL certified drivers, install the latest version of DirectX (from a reputable source), install the latest Windows service packs (past ones have fixed a few major graphics hardware issues), install the latest motherboard drivers. Try running DXDIAG and see if all the graphics tests run ok.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement