What are your aspirations?

Started by
18 comments, last by Village Idiot 20 years, 11 months ago
Since I have just finished college and now heading for the university, I'm thinking of first completing it and getting some Computer Sciences papers or something... and I will take a job as soon as possible.

I think that I will be somewhat more realistic and take a job as a programmer at a "standard" company or something like that...

But hey, I always thought that If I get a Computer Sciences paper then I will have the "whole" world infront of me?

But of what you guys say, it seems more like your own portfolio is more important??

So, what does weight more when applying for a job?
The papers from school/university or your portfolio?

[edited by - bilsa on May 4, 2003 5:54:00 PM]
Advertisement
I would definately say portfolio, then college. Grades are all fine and dandy, and it does show that you''re quite capable of completing something, but your grades don''t really show what you''re good at.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
If you made it through college without writting any code on your own time for your own pleasure, then you might want to consider whether or not you really love programming enough to do it day in and day out.

Back to topic:

If you apply to a game company, you will need a code sample. May only have to be a few hundred lines, but you will need somethign that demonstrates you have talent and passion, not just a peice of paper. If you haven''t shipped a title, then something runnable in the area you wish to focus would go even further.

Having a degree means they may look at your demo before the demo of someone who doesn''t have a degree. But you still need to impress them just as much.
So, how should a portfolio look according to you guys?

Should there be hundreds of small projects. (Lets say games like Pong or Astroid... ?)
Or would it be better to have lets say one or two projects that are bigger. (Let''s say a RPG game in 3D with multiplayer or a 3D shoot em up... etc...)

Does anyone of you guys have an online portfolio we others could check out and get "inspiration" from?

My aspirations are to not work, ever. And have the money to be able to do it.
Generally, at least 1 midsized project would probably be good. You want to demonstrate that you can work beyond simple little test apps. Something that shows some dedication would probably be helpful.

Don''t worry too much about the scope or size. People won''t look at anything beyond 3 projects anyway.

Having a degree shows that you can work inside a system and can stick with it.

Having a demo shows that you have some talent and didn''t just breeze your way through college. It might not even get looked at, but having some test apps may be the difference between you and the guy next door with a degree and nothing to show for it.

A single central app would probably be the best, but I haven''t been involved in the hiring process. I came in through the mod community -- I actually shipped a game before interviewing anywhere. I got lucky.
What keeps me motivated, more or less, is a CD-ROM I obtained ..... from a PSM issue, I think....or maybe it was a PS Underground Package......anywho, on the CD is a video that shows behind the scenes at Naughty Dog Software. Everytime I need help focusing on my work, I put the CD in and watch the video. It sorta.....keeps me on the track.

Wikedgamer

[edited by - wikedgamer on May 5, 2003 2:31:03 PM]
Almost forgot it:
My second aspiration is world dominatin :D
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
My intention is to make a game with rabbits slapping each other with carrots. I''m serious!!! And I know I''m crazy
I´ve checked with some developers in Sweden, Digital Illusion and Warthog. They both say they prefer getting one or few demos that are fairly big and well done, than lots of small maybe not-so well done demos. I think it´s the same with most developers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement