Revalidating Devices

Started by
1 comment, last by jakerrz 20 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I''m using Direct 3d 8 to make a 2d engine and I am having a litte problem. When I alt-tab and then come back i loose the device or something because it doesn''t redraw the scene. I made this function to restore the device:

HRESULT
RestoreDevices()
{
	    D3DDISPLAYMODE d3ddm;
     if( FAILED( dx8.pD3D->GetAdapterDisplayMode( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,
     &d3ddm )))
          return E_FAIL;

// Parameters for the D3DDevice. Most parameters are zero''d out.

// This sets the video format to match the current desktop display.

// Check docs for other options you can set here, such as

// ''Windowed'' which would create a window-based app (not full screen)

D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; 
     ZeroMemory( &d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp) );
     d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;
     d3dpp.BackBufferWidth = 1024;
     d3dpp.BackBufferHeight = 768;
     d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = d3ddm.Format;

if(FAILED(dx8.pd3dDevice->Reset(&d3dpp)))
		return E_FAIL;		
}

It basically just sets the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS back to what they were and calls reset. Im not even sure if that is the right thing to do, is it? My main problem is i don''t know what messege i should be acting on to call this function. I tried WM_ACTIVATE but couldn''t get it to work. I''m pretty sure the RestoreDevices function itself works because i made it so when i press the space bar it calls the function. and when i Alt-tab out and back the screen doesn''t show up at first but when i press space it does. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jake.
Advertisement
I think WM_ACTIVATE should work, maybe the mechanism you used to try and trap this message didnt work? You probably don''t want to do the other things to try and catch tab outs. Another good lead here would be to look at the CD3DApplication class and see how the RestoreDeviceObjects function gets called. (Sorry I was a little too busy to look it up ). But I am pretty confident they handle WM_ACTIVATE message.

-------
Homepage: http://students.washington.edu/andrey
-------Homepage: http://www.pclx.com
Ok i figgured out a solution.
I used the WM_ACTIVATEAPP message instead and for some reason that worked. Does anybody know if i need to restore anything other than the LPDIRECT3DDEVICE8? should I reset all the textures that are created as well?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement