What is the fastest texture filter?

Started by
4 comments, last by ShlomiSteinberg 20 years, 11 months ago
GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, GL_LINEAR, GL_NEAREST? Thanks.
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Advertisement
1. GL_NEAREST is the fastest, you don''t have any interpolation so that''s often pretty ugly.

2. GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST ang GL_LINEAR both use bilinear interpolation. However, by using mipmap, you use more video memory. On the other hand, it can reduce the bandwidth usage, thus speeding up the rendering. Mipmaping can get rid of nasty artifacts on far away objects too.

3. GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR is the slowest but looks better than the others. (trilinear interpolation).
Thanks!
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
I''ve found the mipmap filters to be quicker than GL_NEAREST when the texture is rendered small, presumably because it uses less bandwidth. In some circumstances, even GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR beats GL_NEAREST.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

quote:Original post by benjamin bunny
I''ve found the mipmap filters to be quicker than GL_NEAREST when the texture is rendered small, presumably because it uses less bandwidth. In some circumstances, even GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR beats GL_NEAREST.

I stand corrected.

I''ve just given a look to the red book and the fastest filtering mode, although it wasn''t considered in the original post, should be GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST. It has the simplicity of the GL_NEAREST mode and the bandwidth advantage of mipmap based filters.
In practice, GL_NEAREST is AS FAST as GL_LINEAR (on an accelerated card).

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement