Where is the beginning to a good 2D game?

Started by
3 comments, last by EvilKind 20 years, 11 months ago
I am currently studying software engineering. I have been leaning object oriented programming with the language Eiffel. For my dissertation next year I have been thinking about writing a 2D scrolling platform game. I am going to code it in C++ and DirectX however at the moment I am lacking experience in either. I have purchased the books The ZEN of DirectX, which didn''t go into as much detailed as I wanted and the Gems series. What books should I be buying to code a good 2D game or lean the principals of making a good game to assist me in my project.
I got 2 books, one on game programming and another on miracles so I can understand.
Advertisement
Tricks of the windows game programming ........ second edition

or

Isometric Game programming.

The later goes into more detail about tile based fundamentals but nothing to do with side scrolling games.

The former doesn''t go into as much detail but covers more relevant areas for side scrolling engines.
You say that you want DX and C++, but you lack experience in both. Well, you and flukus are naming game programming books focused on DX. These books usually assume that you know C++ already, so they prob won''t help you much.

Start out learning C++, then worry about DX.

http://www.cprogramming.com/

That''s my recommendation on where to learn C++. You could buy a book too, but I tend to like online sources much more than books.

--Vic--

The future of 2D game development:
Flat Red Ball
programming role playing games with directx assumes you have atleast a basic knowledge of c++ (it goes into classes and inheretense so you dont really need to know those, but it helps), this is a really good book if you want to learn 3D later on anyways, BUT it uses D3D for both 2D and 3D (no ddraw), but, IMO i think D3D is easier than ddraw. (whoah, huge run-on sentence!)

doh, nuts. Mmmm... donuts
My website
I''m halfway through "Object-Oriented Programming in C++" by Robert Lafore. It''s really good. Went through all the basics of C++. Doesn''t get into DirectX, just focuses on OOP in C++ .

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement