C is unnecessary

Started by
197 comments, last by Enselic 20 years, 1 month ago
I''m not sure weather this discussion has been taken, in that case I''ll immediatly delete this thread. Anyway, I find this discussion of unlimited interest. My statement: There is absolutley NO reason to code in C anymore since we have C++. Please present any arguments against my statement without a flame-influence. ____________________ ____ ___ __ _ Enselic''s Corner - CodeSampler.com
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Advertisement
My take on the subject:

C++ makes data managing easier, with the new and delete keywords.
there will always be a reason to code in C..
people still code in COBOL and Fortran. its also a maintenance issue- there are several million pieces of software coded in C already...

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Yeah, but since C++ is extended C you can code C using C++, so to speak...

____________________ ____ ___ __ _
Enselic''s Corner - CodeSampler.com
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Waaahh! C compilers are faster
All programming languages are useless there is nothing you can''t do with binary code. That is all I have to say on this subject.

- Damage Inc.
If that wasn't a joke:

Diffrent languages serve different purposes. But since C is not diffrent from C++ since C++ is extended C, C could be thrown into the paper-basket.

Enselic's Corner - CodeSampler.com

[edited by - Enselic on May 3, 2003 9:33:03 AM]
C is simpler than C++. Well written C++ code has a great deal more of complicated language constructs compared to well written C. Not everyone has the time to learn these features, so it may be more efficient just to get the job done in C than for everyone to learn all C++ aspects.

Just take a look at some of the Boost''s more complicated libraries. You may not have a slightest idea of what''s going on there, since they abuse so many of C++''s features. But if something vaguely similar was written in C, it''d be done with the relatively "few" constructs C has and you could at least start trying to comprehend it.

One could say that "just use a couple of C++ features, those that are handy" and treat the Boost libraries like black boxes that do something neat. But where to stop? Are templates too complex? Template metaprogramming probably is. How about making proper use of classes? Assume everyone has read Design Patterns? Should const correctness be used or is it more trouble than it''s worth? The list goes on.

C++ definitely has a hefty deal of more expressive power than C, but you have to take other kinds of practical values into consideration too.
quote:Original post by Enselic
Diffrent languages serve different purposes. But since C is not diffrent from C++ since C++ is extended C, C could be thrown into the paper-basket.

Then why don''t then just do so and be happy?
There noone saying that just because you have a neat load of features, you shall use it. If someone say "C++ is too complicated, learn C instead" they havn''t really though. You can study the complicated parts of the language later on.

Enselic''s Corner - CodeSampler.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement