• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steg

brute terrain, now what ?

This topic is 5623 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I''ve code my brute force terrain using direct3d. Now, first off, I have used triangle lists - ok, I know this is going to be slow, now, should I: 1. Convert it to use triangle strips or 2. Use index buffers Ok, when the above is done I am thinking of using Geomimmapping with some LOD, is this a good choice for faster rendering ? Kind regards, Steve As I get older, my mind becomes more cluttered.

Advertisement
quote:

I''ve code my brute force terrain using direct3d. Now, first off, I have used triangle lists - ok, I know this is going to be slow, now, should I:

1. Convert it to use triangle strips or
2. Use index buffers

Both. Ie: use indexed tristrips. That''s pretty much the fastest geometric primitive supported by today''s hardware.

quote:

Ok, when the above is done I am thinking of using Geomimmapping with some LOD, is this a good choice for faster rendering ?

Yes, it most definitely is

Thanks Yann,

Is it easy to use strips with index buffer ?

At the moment I just render one big vertex buffer as :

g_pDevice->DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, 32*32*2);

Many thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the information Mittens,

I have actually got the book, got it a few days ago, this is why I was asking over geomipmapping, hadn''t heard of it until I read about it in that book :-)

Guess I''m a bit of a slow learner on this subject as I still would like to know how you work out the patches, for example, if my terrain was 256x256 quads and my patch size is made up of 16x16 quads, I guess this means 256 patches ? But what do I put in these patches ? Is it the vertices from the camera pos to the users position - I mean the 16x16 quads the user is positioned in, then set the LOD from the distance formula ?

Sorry to sound a real dumb a**!

Steve

As I get older, my mind becomes more cluttered.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by mittens
*cough* blatent plug *cough*

You could always check out "Focus on 3D Terrain Programming ," I''ve heard that''s a great book... Yeah... *cough* Look at my signature *cough*

<FONT COLOR="#42cc2c">Trent Polack </FONT>
<A HREF= "http://trent.codershq.com">trent.codershq.com</a>
<A HREF= "mailto: trent@codershq.com">trent@codershq.com</a>
Author of <A HREF= "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592000282/qid=1038265053/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-7131566-8448637?v=glance&s=books&n=507846">Focus on 3D Terrain Programming</A>

Will this book be easy to follow if i am using directx ?

I am using DirectX, the book is written in a simple manner and the alogrithms explained are not API specific. I would recommend the book. I think the reason I am struggling with this terrain stuff is that I spend more time reading than actually doing!

As some guy once said :

I read and I forget
I see and I remember
I do and I know how to

Or something like that ?!

Regards,
Steve

As I get older, my mind becomes more cluttered.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!