brute terrain, now what ?

Started by
6 comments, last by steg 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, I''ve code my brute force terrain using direct3d. Now, first off, I have used triangle lists - ok, I know this is going to be slow, now, should I: 1. Convert it to use triangle strips or 2. Use index buffers Ok, when the above is done I am thinking of using Geomimmapping with some LOD, is this a good choice for faster rendering ? Kind regards, Steve As I get older, my mind becomes more cluttered.

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

Advertisement
quote:
I''ve code my brute force terrain using direct3d. Now, first off, I have used triangle lists - ok, I know this is going to be slow, now, should I:

1. Convert it to use triangle strips or
2. Use index buffers

Both. Ie: use indexed tristrips. That''s pretty much the fastest geometric primitive supported by today''s hardware.

quote:
Ok, when the above is done I am thinking of using Geomimmapping with some LOD, is this a good choice for faster rendering ?

Yes, it most definitely is
Thanks Yann,

Is it easy to use strips with index buffer ?

At the moment I just render one big vertex buffer as :

g_pDevice->DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, 32*32*2);

Many thanks,
Steve

*cough* blatent plug *cough*

You could always check out "Focus on 3D Terrain Programming ," I''ve heard that''s a great book... Yeah... *cough* Look at my signature *cough*

Trent Polack
trent.codershq.com
trent@codershq.com
Author of Focus on 3D Terrain Programming
quote:Original post by mittens

You could always check out "Focus on 3D Terrain Programming ," I''ve heard that''s a great book... Yeah... *cough* Look at my signature *cough*

Trent Polack
trent.codershq.com
trent@codershq.com
Author of Focus on 3D Terrain Programming

HAG :D
*st0ned*
Thanks for the information Mittens,

I have actually got the book, got it a few days ago, this is why I was asking over geomipmapping, hadn''t heard of it until I read about it in that book :-)

Guess I''m a bit of a slow learner on this subject as I still would like to know how you work out the patches, for example, if my terrain was 256x256 quads and my patch size is made up of 16x16 quads, I guess this means 256 patches ? But what do I put in these patches ? Is it the vertices from the camera pos to the users position - I mean the 16x16 quads the user is positioned in, then set the LOD from the distance formula ?

Sorry to sound a real dumb a**!

Steve

As I get older, my mind becomes more cluttered.

quote:Original post by mittens

<FONT COLOR="#42cc2c">Trent Polack </FONT>
<A HREF= "http://trent.codershq.com">trent.codershq.com</a>
<A HREF= "mailto: trent@codershq.com">trent@codershq.com</a>
Author of <A HREF= "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592000282/qid=1038265053/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-7131566-8448637?v=glance&s=books&n=507846">Focus on 3D Terrain Programming</A>

Will this book be easy to follow if i am using directx ?
I am using DirectX, the book is written in a simple manner and the alogrithms explained are not API specific. I would recommend the book. I think the reason I am struggling with this terrain stuff is that I spend more time reading than actually doing!

As some guy once said :

I read and I forget
I see and I remember
I do and I know how to

Or something like that ?!

Regards,
Steve

As I get older, my mind becomes more cluttered.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement