• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paulbird

How do I make a 3D Mouse?

This topic is 5643 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I would like to make a 3D mouse that I can connect to the mouse socket in my computer which would help me make 3D graphics. Any ideas how to do this (without taking an electronics degree)? Here is the plan:

_|__ 
     (____)...   <-mouse       ______
       |      .               |      |
       |      .               |      |
       |       .              |      |
       |         ............[| CPU  |    
      _|_                     |      |
     (   )...................[|      |
====================(TABLE)=============

Maybe I could somehow connect two mices together and use the input from both of them to determine where the combined 3D mouse was in space? Hmmm..... yes its coming to me now.... I stick one mouse sideways on a ruler and attcach that ruler vertically to mouse-2. Then that mouse will measue the XY direction and the other mouse can measure the Z direction... Is it possible to connect two mouses into the computer? If so, how would you read the input from each mouse seperately?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by paulbird Is it possible to connect two mouses into the computer? If so, how would you read the input from each mouse seperately?

DirectInput will allow you to have a joypad that has up to 6 axies (possibly more), so you could buy one with enough inputs and chop it up for your own needs perhaps..?

I''m pretty sure most locally-executed (ie Windows with the tower right there, as opposed to an X11 box) OSs won''t allow more than one active "pointing device" at a time.

What you may be able to do is use OrangyTang''s idea of jury-rigging a joystick''s axes.

I''m sure you can come up with much better ideas if you had an electronics degree.

How about you set a web-cam to look at your mouse and then you write some fancy software which calculates the 3d-position of the mouse by analyzing the image. That would be cool.

____________________ ____ ___ __ _
Enselic''s Corner - My site. Go test my game Spatra and see if you can beat it onto the Official Spatra Top 10.
CodeSampler.com - Great site with source for specific tasks in DirectX and OpenGL.

quote:
Original post by Enselic
How about you set a web-cam to look at your mouse and then you write some fancy software which calculates the 3d-position of the mouse by analyzing the image. That would be cool.[...]
If you''re going to be fancy, why use a mouse at all? Just have the camera figure out the 3d position of your finger and you could just wave your hand around. I think it would take 2 cameras though.

If you do use a hardware device, you should add sensors to it so it can tell when you rotate it as well to get 6 DOF instead of only 3 =-)

[edited by - Big Brother on January 1, 1984 12:00:00 AM]

Tough one huh?

If I can remember trere was a question on our forums (Slovenian -Joker magazine) about connecting two mices onto the PC and control the cursor with them. OK, the question was:

Pozdravljeni ...

Kar k vprasanju :

OH, you dont understand Slovene Well, the question was somethink like that: I want to have dual mouse on my PC. each of theme has to work on their own (double XY coords, for each of them).

The problem was that if you connect two mices on the computer it works as one (move mouse no. 1 and the cursor will move. Move mouse no. 2, and the same cursor will move... how odd. ).

So, the answer came... http://www.touch-base.com/files/updintro.pdf

And I'm the winner! I hope.

PS, sorry for my english!
PPS. the link to the forums we disscussed: http://www.joker.si/mnenjalnik/viewtopic.php?t=24082&highlight= Do you understand slovene?

[edited by - unknownnick on May 3, 2003 4:11:12 PM]

2 2d cameras, 1 gets xy, the toher gets zy, the y''s will always be the same so just take either

Guest Anonymous Poster
DirectInput supports multiple mice.

However, your mouse already has the third dimension: the scroll wheel. Use it!

I can''t remember if this still works but I remember I used to use the NUMPAD mouse & the mouse together, so just use those 2. I s''pose ud still have to make a proggy to readjust the numpads behaviour, thats if you want to use the keyboard though

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!