Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alpha_ProgDes

Considered JavaScript?

well after playing with the language a little, i wondered something. why hasn''t anyone considered javascript as a simple 2D game programming language? AFAIK, the most you have to worry about is collision detection, as there is no double buffering to deal with. plus the "compiler" is the browser you''re using. obviously i''m posting to learn about it more and get arguments about for and against it. so AFAIK, pros: no double buffering to deal with, animation is easier cons: writing the actual code might be a little overwhelming

it just isn''t fast enough to handle the game. You don''y have the computing speed to make it smooth while calculating everything on the CPU, through both the browser itself and the OS levels. You''d need a high end computer for the simplest of games.

I''ll answer your question with another question:
.....Why?

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

For very simple web based games you could use javascript. There are tricks to make it fast enough for relatively simple things. A few years ago I was messing around with writing games in DHTML, here is a prototype of DHTML pacman, it''s really buggy, so forgive me :

http://www.fundi.net/creations/dhtml_pacman/index.html

There is actually a very good diablo-like game written in javascript with excellent graphics, maybe someone can give you the link, I simply cannot remember at all...