Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

headshot

good windows progeraming books

i''m learning c++ and i''ve got most of it down, but now that i''ve figured out all the console apps and all that boring stuff i want to move on to windows programing, so i want to know if any 1 has a faveret book, i''m working with "teach your self c++ in 21 days". this is my 2nd book(the first was c++ for dummys)and i like it very much, i heard they did a teach your self VC++ in 21 days, and i think i might buy that, but do any of you have a book you like for a reitive beginer (with windows programing)

Well if you are wanting to get into game programming too, then I would say Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. LaMothe shows you how to set up a window and load cursors and dialog boxes and what-not. It''s not totally about just windows programming but it does get your feet wet and then you get to learn about Game Programming as well.

I have yet to see a good book on Windows programming.
None of the books I''ve read about the topic have satisfied me yet.

Note: I''m not talking about game programming here.

Don''t get the book VC++6 in 21 days, because it''s all MFC and will rot your brain. I haven''t an idea on a good Windows programming book, because I like to stay cross platform, sorry.

thanks guys, i think i''ll check out the "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus", and thanks, and Ninkazu, i love it when this stuff twists up my bran, i love it, this stuff is fun, i see now reason not to learn MFC(besides not having time or it being to hard for you that is) and yes, good game programming books are wecome to, thats what i want to learen evenchuly any way.

quote:
Original post by Xiachunyi
There is an online Win32 API tutoral by theForger that is really good.

Question, why are the majority Win32 programmers out there deal with mainly MFC?

Because if you''re developing a windows application that isn''t a fullscreen computer game doing it straight through the API is a pain in the arse. The MFC is OO, theres tools for it which accelerate dev time. Its brilliant for applications. Don''t believe me? Try farting around with fonts in the Windows API for a while. Huge hastle. Everything in the raw windows API is a hassle. 300 lines of code to make a screen. MFC, click 3 buttons and you''re set. You want this: "Bang" its there. Windows API, crank out more code....

Naturally though if you''re making a computer game the MFC is usually a waste of time and just extra overhead......

Windows Programming by Charles Petzold is the best Windows programming book I know about and it is translated in several languages (in case you are not good with english).

MFC is good if you plan on using heavy user interfaces, it saves you a LOT of time and doc fetching. But if you are going for
fullscreen, win32api is the best choice. Either choice, it is always a good idea to know win32api... or at least the foundations and principles.

MFC may be good for shorter Document style programs, and easier for them, but once you get everything established (such as window creation) in the API, you can write it in almost the same amount of time. Same thing with it''s object orientedness. You can do all that in the pure API.

However, the learning curve, I will admit, is much harder than MFC, which has tools to just create everything.

But like other people stated, if you want to learn the Win32 API, just use Forgers tutorial, or Petzolds book.

thanks guys, you've been a grate help, my real reason for MFC is not becouse i think it's good for games, but i figure that knowing it couldent do me any harm, game programming is my primary objective, but i've also got some things i would like to try with regards to normal software develipment

P.S. and yes i speek einglish Coincoin, thanks(thought i can't spell very well

[edited by - headshot on May 4, 2003 11:01:28 AM]