100% cpu cycle issue

Started by
16 comments, last by kordova 20 years, 11 months ago
I'm looking through a friend's source (I believe he originally based it from someone's book?) as he's using up 100% of his cpu cycles when running a very simple app. I'm certain it comes from this chunk as when I added the "else { Sleep(iTickTrigger ... " lines it dropped significantly. Anyway, is this the best way to handle it? It seems so to me but I don't want to misinform. Thanks ahead.

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
  PSTR szCmdLine, int iCmdShow)
{
  MSG         msg;
  static int  iTickTrigger = 0;
  int         iTickCount;

if (GameInitialize(hInstance))
  {
    // Initialize the game engine

if (!GameEngine::GetEngine()->Initialize(iCmdShow))
      return FALSE;

// Enter the main message loop

while (TRUE)
    {
      if (PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE))
      {
        // Process the message

if (msg.message == WM_QUIT)
          break;
        TranslateMessage(&msg);
        DispatchMessage(&msg);
      }
      else
      {
        // Make sure the game engine isn't sleeping

if (!GameEngine::GetEngine()->GetSleep())
        {
          // Check the tick count to see if a game cycle has elapsed

iTickCount = GetTickCount();
          if (iTickCount > iTickTrigger)
          {
            iTickTrigger = iTickCount +
              GameEngine::GetEngine()->GetFrameDelay();
            GameCycle();
          }
          else {
            Sleep((iTickTrigger-iTickCount));
          }
        }
      }
    }
    return (int)msg.wParam;
  }

// End the game

GameEnd();

return TRUE;
}

[edited by - kordova on May 3, 2003 2:34:42 PM]
Advertisement
A game usually uses all the CPU power available so a usage of 100% is absolutetly normal (look at commong game and judge yourself). It draws as many FPS as possible so it should be using maximum CPU.

hope that helped,
cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states )
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
Yeah, but I received 100% cpu when i set his global fps to 1. I''m pretty sure that it sits in an infinite loop that only calls the "gamecycle" when the determined time has elapsed, though it continues to loop even when theres many hundred milliseconds when there should be no activity. My only concern with my approach is that peekmsg won''t be hit very frequently though that may not matter (?)
edit: upon reading all the code, I have no idea what you're attempting to do, but I'm fairly certain there's an easier way.

You can call Sleep() each frame to relinquish some CPU time to other processes. However, even if you only call Sleep(0) (the parameter is the number of milliseconds to give up), your maximum framerate will be 100, since Sleep is only accurate to about 10ms. So, you can either live with 100% usage, limit your FPS to 100, or come up with a creative way to call Sleep(10) every X number of frames. You get the idea.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[edited by - zealouselixir on May 3, 2003 2:50:01 PM]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Is 100% an ok thing to do regardless of size of the game? I''ve always avoided it as best as possible personally but then who am I?
No, it''s not okay. It''s an abuse of the preemptive multithreading kernel.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

As long as your game has focus, you can use most of the processor (not ALL...this isnt dos). If your game is out of focus you should try to use as close to 0% as possible...because it doesnt matter.

Brian J
Brian J
Well a process should use as much CPU time as needed when it is in the foreground as long as it is doing meaningful work (i.e. not just spinning endlessly in a tight loop.)
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com
Ok thats what I thought. Is this an ok way to deal with the current setup:
WinMain1. Initialize Windows etc (if any problems exit)2. While (TRUE)    a. peekmsg      else    b. if game not sleeping (deactivated, minimized etc)       1. if enough time has elapsed          a. call engine work function          else          b. sleep for time between current and needed elapsed 

Not sure if you can follow that, but that's the best an understanding I can get from this. The only thing I've added is the sleep portion and again im pretty sure if i change something in here it should make the difference. Thanks again all.

[edited by - kordova on May 3, 2003 3:41:24 PM]
quote:Original post by ZealousElixir
edit : upon reading all the code, I have no idea what you''re attempting to do, but I''m fairly certain there''s an easier way.

Switch between GetMessage and PeekMessage when you receive WM_ACTIVATEAPP.

MSN

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement