Planes

Started by
13 comments, last by ShlomiSteinberg 20 years, 11 months ago
I''ve asked this question ones but I didn''t get any good answer. I have a plane - a triangle, and I know the coordinates of it''s vertices. How do I found the Y (Height) of any given x,z on this plane? Sorry for my English. Thanks.
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Advertisement
you take the percentage of the slope and add it to the xz
Extract the plane equation:

ax + by + cz + d = 0

Rearrange:

y = (- d - ax - cz) / b

To get the plane eqn:

(v1,v2,v3 is triangle verts)

e1 = v2 - v1
e2 = v3 - v1

normal = normalize( cross(e1,e2) )

where cross takes two vectors and returns the cross product, normalize takes a vector and returns the normalized (unit) version.

then in the above equation:

a = normal.x
b = normal.y
c = normal.z
d = -dot(normal,v1)

quote:Original post by JuNC
normal = normalize( cross(e1,e2) )
a = normal.x
b = normal.y
c = normal.z
d = -dot(normal,v1)

Right! However you dont need do normalize the normal if you dont need the ''normal'' explicitly (ie.: light).

So, given 3 points P0, P1, P2
simply
vector3 normal = (P2-P0)^(P1-P0) = (a, b, c)
and float d = - normal * P0

-> y = -(a*x + c*z + d)/b

guys, dont talk so complicated. If he ask this question, its probably he dont know VECTOR ALGEBRA.

What you want to do is to find intersection point between a plane and a line?
quote:Original post by Daivuk
guys, dont talk so complicated.

If someone find this math complicated...leave 3D graphics...it''s better! I''ve studied these topics at school when I was 14...(a lot of time ago... )

quote:

No!

14 ?!!!!!!!?
Damn, where did you go at school??
Me I learned it at 19 at college.
long time ago too
quote:Original post by Daivuk
guys, dont talk so complicated. If he ask this question, its probably he dont know VECTOR ALGEBRA.

I understood what he was saying and I have already done something similiar. My mistake was using "-" instead of "+" so I have solved my problem.
Thank you.
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
quote:Original post by blizzard999

If someone find this math complicated...leave 3D graphics...it''s better! I''ve studied these topics at school when I was 14...(a lot of time ago... )

I have studied it at the age of 13 by myself. :D
quote:
I have studied it at the age of 13 by myself. :D

I was obliged of course...at 13 I had other things in my head

Seriously...geometry is a lot simpler than linear algebra or other ''math topics''

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement