Cout style output

Started by
5 comments, last by Craazer 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi can you help me and say what do I need to create my own ''cout class'' ? Writing to console isnt a problem but what comes to << operator im a bit lost. You see I can redefine operator << and use it like this: mycout << "test"; but not like this: mycout << "te" << "st"; And not to mention the endl defination, wich is probably: #define endl "\n" ?
Advertisement
Your insertion operator (the formal name for our friend Mr. << ) needs to return a reference to the class so you can "chain" them together.

CMyClass& CMyClass::operator<<(const string& str){   /* Do something with the string */}        

And you shouldn't use std::endl with your custom class, it's not defined as trivially as you think.

However, if you're creating your own stream class, you just might. I'm unsure whether you literally meant a cout-derived class, or just a class that uses an insertion operator, hence the quotes around "cout class."

[edited by - Zipster on May 3, 2003 3:18:12 PM]
The insertion operator should be defined as a binary operator outside the scope of the class, like so:

inline std::ostream& operator <<(std::ostream& stream, const YourClass& r){    // do what you need to insert your class into the stream    stream << r.ToString();      // now return the stream    return stream;}     

This code assumes that YourClass defines a method named ToString() that transforms an instance of YourClass into a meaningful string.

I hope this helps.

[edited by - Digitalfiend on May 3, 2003 3:28:31 PM]
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com
endl is not just a newline character. In addition to inserting a ''/n,'' it flushes the buffer.
Hi again.

Is this what you ment returning reference or shometing...

// this is from ostream.hinline  ostream& ostream::operator<<(const unsigned char * _s) { return operator<<((const char *) _s); }  

To me that looks like a endles loop and so it was when I tryed to implement it?
You need to return a reference to what the this pointer points to, i.e. the object that invoked operator<<():

class CTest
{
public:
CTest& operator<<(const std::string& str);

private:
};

inline CTest& CTest::operator<<(const std::string& str)
{
// do stuff

return *this;
}

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || MSDN || STL || GameCoding || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

[edited by - Lektrix on May 4, 2003 10:22:55 AM]
[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || [email=lektrix@barrysworld.com]E-Mail Me[/email] ]
quote:Original post by Lektrix
You need to return a reference to what the this pointer points to, i.e. the object that invoked operator<<():

class CTest
{
public:
    CTest& operator<<(const std::string& str);

private:
};

inline CTest& CTest::operator<<(const std::string& str)
{
    // do stuff

return *this;
}

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || MSDN || STL || GameCoding || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

[edited by - Lektrix on May 4, 2003 10:22:55 AM]

Thanks Lektrix got it working. And thanks to all of you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement