Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BattleGuard

(C++) or (C++ .net) or (C# (C-Sharp))

Hey, I was a VB .net programmer. Then I dropped it. Now I am interested in game-dev. So I wanted to ask you something. I have all these utilities available to me but which one should I choose to use??? I have Visual Studio 6.0 and Visual Studio .net Ok, now the question. Which one from C++, C++ .net, C#(sharp) should I choose to use. I was thinking more towards C# since it is the newest one and I have a book on it to program. Which one of these would be best to make DirectX-based games. Thanx Any advice would be use-/helpful... BattleGuard Courage is no lack of fear, it is the will to act in spite of it

C# for DirectX, because C# is only supported by Windows, but I don''t limit myself to Windows, and I don''t think other platforms are going to conform to Microsoft''s new language.
I use VC++6. I think .NET is teh gay.

I presume you are planing to go for game development....... In that case, I suggest you jump straight into C++. Professional game developers generally mostly use it.

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

In professional game development, the wave is moving from C to C++. It''s not a case that you jump straight into C++ and you''re there, as those already in the industry will have significant C experience. I would suggest that you coordinate learning both C and C++, which is quite a mammoth task, but that''s what game development demands.

The usual stuff goes here for a signature.

Hi, Thanx for your replies. I tried V-C++ 6.0 but I uhh.. hate the IDE. For some reason, not to dys anybody who uses it. So I am installing VS .net right now then I''ll see and check out V-C++ .net. I have tried the .net framework and IDE and like it and it is very much interconnected with DirectX 9.0 SDK...

So thanx for the replies. I''ll check out the thing and tell you if I make my first game...

BattleGuard

Courage is no lack of fear, it is the will to act in spite of it

quote:
Original post by Ninkazu
because C# is only supported by Windows

Wrong.
quote:

and I don''t think other platforms are going to conform to Microsoft''s new language.

Wrong.
quote:

I use VC++6. I think .NET is teh gay.

You are an idiot.

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine

im going to have to agree with Arild Fines C# at least is currently supported on one form of Linux and with the current learning curve to this buisness "I" personaly think that newbies should go to C# if they are using Microsoft. Microsoft has made it rather clear that Longhorn will be using .Net Tech at the very core of it''s existance. I am inclined to belive that at that point any .Net language will become dominant on the PC, that means you can use the hole set of them Perl.Net, cobal.net fortran.net c++.net c# VB.Net Python.Net Pascal.Net and right now i cant seem to think of any others. so in short "I" recomend C# or VB.net(i say vb.net becouse u have used VB previosly).

quote:
Original post by HippieHunter
im going to have to agree with Arild Fines C# at least is currently supported on one form of Linux and with the current learning curve to this buisness "I" personaly think that newbies should go to C# if they are using Microsoft. Microsoft has made it rather clear that Longhorn will be using .Net Tech at the very core of it''s existance. I am inclined to belive that at that point any .Net language will become dominant on the PC, that means you can use the hole set of them Perl.Net, cobal.net fortran.net c++.net c# VB.Net Python.Net Pascal.Net and right now i cant seem to think of any others. so in short "I" recomend C# or VB.net(i say vb.net becouse u have used VB previosly).

You are talking about game development, right?

The usual stuff goes here for a signature.

quote:
Original post by dead_roses
Don''t mean to hijack the thread or anything but isnt there a way to compile unmaganged C/C++ code with VS.net compiler, making it basicly the same as if you compiled it with VC++?

There is no "VS.NET" compiler - VS.NET ships with 3 compilers: VC++, C# and VB.NET. The C++ compiler can generate both native x86 and .NET code.

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine

yea sorry thats what i meant, I know it comes with three compilers I just meant the VC++ compiler. Also I meant if it made the code the same as if it was compiled with VC++ 6.0 but you answered that, and thats what I thought anyways just wasn''t sure.

I got to get moer sleep...

Woah, everything is waaay out of hand here. This poor guy only has VB experience. Before jumping into a lower level (real) programming language it should be made clear to him the difference of paradigms between c/c++ and c#.

I say basically use what you like. c++/C# are OO, C is top down. Personally I say go for OO, if you''re not a topdown programmer, which you probably aern''t and if you haven''t been programming very long OO is the way to go. As much as I hate to admit it, C# has its merits, its got a more academicness about it.

I cast my vote for you to learn C++. Not so mamoth a task as some have suggested. Just learn the OO paradigm back and forth. Design based on OO, and the language will teach itself....

go with c++, it's the most used lang. for games(at least for windows, console is a hole diferent story)i'm not fmilure with C# but i don'tknow of any games that where made with it, and learning C++ your learning 90% of all other c based lang's. so if the land scape changes you should be able to adapt quickly,

[edited by - headshot on May 4, 2003 11:09:12 AM]

ey Guys thanx for all those awesome replies. I think I''ll take up C++.net for now since my borhter said that it is that same thing as C++ in the programming part and I am used to the IDE of .Net and its framework. Then after I am done learning C++ I try C# later.

THX
BattleGuard

Courage is no lack of fear, it is the will to act in spite of it

C is fastest but not object oriented.
C++ is a little bit less fast but oop. In certain way, it can save u a lot of time if u learn to use it well.
C# is Microsoft''s last cooked language. I don''t know a lot about it, except that you can include VB source code in your c code, and it''s oop too...
Personally I don''t like to program with languages that have been created by Corporations or Companies.
I prefer to work with languages or tools which are issued from the research, or from universities. It''s a question of taste, but i prefer to work with tools which are the most "universal".
So i prefer C++, just for the guarantee that it will stay "free" (understant that you have to pay nothing to use its concepts) until its end, and because its oop and accepts asm programming (for optimisation time).

quote:
Original post by Dzero
Personally I don''t like to program with languages that have been created by Corporations or Companies.

<snip/>

So i prefer C++,

Uhm... maybe time to take a look at the history of C++...?

-- Cardinal Bellarmine

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
[quote]Original post by Dzero

So i prefer C++,

-- Cardinal Bellarmine

agreed *cough* bell laboratories *cough*

quote:
Original post by djkno3
Man I better go back to school I thought it was AT&T...
Same here...maybe it was AT&T Bell Laboratories?? lol.

Current project: A puzzle game.
% completed: ~10%

quote:
Original post by Bennettovia
quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
quote:
Original post by Dzero

So i prefer C++,

-- Cardinal Bellarmine

agreed *cough* bell laboratories *cough*

Yes... Your''re right. Sorry.
Maybe i might read again before post

I''m not sure; I guess that a VB6 programmer would be slightly more at home with C#.

In any case, the first thing that a VB6 programmer would have to get used to is using a normal imperitive language; this is not an easy step if they''ve never done anything else (than VB6).

Seeing is this is the "For Beginners" thread, then I think that it''s likely the OP is a beginner; therefore I stand by my decision of C#

In the hands of an expert, C++ can be everything C# is and more, unfortunately, in the hands of a novice, it''s far more dangerous (and tricky).

C# is definitely the right way to go. C is the wrong way to go. Managed C++ strikes me as wholly pointless (As I understand it) (essentially keep the awkwardness of C++ without the power)

Mark