• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BattleGuard

(C++) or (C++ .net) or (C# (C-Sharp))

This topic is 5197 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I was a VB .net programmer. Then I dropped it. Now I am interested in game-dev. So I wanted to ask you something. I have all these utilities available to me but which one should I choose to use??? I have Visual Studio 6.0 and Visual Studio .net Ok, now the question. Which one from C++, C++ .net, C#(sharp) should I choose to use. I was thinking more towards C# since it is the newest one and I have a book on it to program. Which one of these would be best to make DirectX-based games. Thanx Any advice would be use-/helpful... BattleGuard Courage is no lack of fear, it is the will to act in spite of it

Advertisement
C# for DirectX, because C# is only supported by Windows, but I don''t limit myself to Windows, and I don''t think other platforms are going to conform to Microsoft''s new language.
I use VC++6. I think .NET is teh gay.

I presume you are planing to go for game development....... In that case, I suggest you jump straight into C++. Professional game developers generally mostly use it.

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

In professional game development, the wave is moving from C to C++. It''s not a case that you jump straight into C++ and you''re there, as those already in the industry will have significant C experience. I would suggest that you coordinate learning both C and C++, which is quite a mammoth task, but that''s what game development demands.

The usual stuff goes here for a signature.

Hi, Thanx for your replies. I tried V-C++ 6.0 but I uhh.. hate the IDE. For some reason, not to dys anybody who uses it. So I am installing VS .net right now then I''ll see and check out V-C++ .net. I have tried the .net framework and IDE and like it and it is very much interconnected with DirectX 9.0 SDK...

So thanx for the replies. I''ll check out the thing and tell you if I make my first game...

BattleGuard

Courage is no lack of fear, it is the will to act in spite of it

quote:
Original post by Ninkazu
because C# is only supported by Windows

Wrong.
quote:

and I don''t think other platforms are going to conform to Microsoft''s new language.

Wrong.
quote:

I use VC++6. I think .NET is teh gay.

You are an idiot.

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine

im going to have to agree with Arild Fines C# at least is currently supported on one form of Linux and with the current learning curve to this buisness "I" personaly think that newbies should go to C# if they are using Microsoft. Microsoft has made it rather clear that Longhorn will be using .Net Tech at the very core of it''s existance. I am inclined to belive that at that point any .Net language will become dominant on the PC, that means you can use the hole set of them Perl.Net, cobal.net fortran.net c++.net c# VB.Net Python.Net Pascal.Net and right now i cant seem to think of any others. so in short "I" recomend C# or VB.net(i say vb.net becouse u have used VB previosly).

Sure: He is a really big idiot.

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine

Don''t mean to hijack the thread or anything but isnt there a way to compile unmaganged C/C++ code with VS.net compiler, making it basicly the same as if you compiled it with VC++?

This topic is 5197 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.