Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iamwithstupid

Linux server distro

Hello Which one in your opinion is the de facto server distribution? Just wanted to know since I will be running my web server at home and wanted to know what you guys and gals thought! Suppose with this in mind you could also suggest windows os (cough). Thanks Jack

For a web server to host from, I have been told by many people that a Unix or Linux ( which are free ) are much better for hosting a server than windows which will/can crash more often then a LInux/Unix machines. I have not personally done this, but this is from Lots of people I have talked to.

NeFrUgLe

quote:
Original post by Nefrugle
For a web server to host from, I have been told by many people that a Unix or Linux ( which are free ) are much better for hosting a server than windows which will/can crash more often then a LInux/Unix machines.
The crashing is not the main issue, although a *nix box usually survive longer without reboot (on some distros you can even recompile the kernel without a restart). The main issue is security and stability; escpecially for CGI's. *nix security model wins over Windows big times.

Another propery of *nix, is the philosophy of having atomic and highly flexible programs. This allows you to with minimal effort build your own custom server by scripting together your choice of servers and utilities. This is usually impossible with Windows servers. Of course, you can usually find the *nix kind open-source software ported to Windows, but they do not run as well there.

These distros (I think) are most popular for a server box:
Debian GNU/Linux
RedHat Linux
Mandrake Linux
FreeBSD (BSD UNIX, not Linux)

Any will do. Then for the ultimate web server: Apache HTTP Server

[edited by - CWizard on May 3, 2003 6:37:11 PM]