DirectX vs. OpenGL for RPG

Started by
5 comments, last by Noro 20 years, 11 months ago
Simply enough, can anyone tell me (from their personal experience) which of the two (DirectX vs. OpenGL) would be most practical and efficient for an RPG? Is there even any fault between the two on this topic?
Advertisement
neither of them is better for rpg game programming, they''re just interfaces between you as the coder and the computers hardware
Ethereal
As Metus has already said both DirectX and OpenGL are interfaces between your application and hardware. It is irrelevant which one to use. Just choose the one you like better. I hope this topic won''t start another DirectX vs. OpenGL war...
The real question here is do you want to use OpenGL or Direct3D. OpenGL is strictly used for grafix but DirectX is a combo pack. DirctX is composed of: DirectDraw, Direct3D, DirectInput, DirectSound, DirectMusic, DirectPlay, and DirectShow. I would probably recomend using DirectX for Input/output, sound, music and use OpenGL for grafix. But as you probably already know you have an infinite number of options as to what tools you want to use.
If want the game to be cross platform, you can use SDL for input, OpenGL for graphics, and bass (from un4seen.com) for music.

Bass is free for non-commercial use, but expensive if not.
Sayonara!~Ninkazu
2d or 3d?

------------------------------------------------------------
I really need to update this signature...
If you can't make a decision, the right choice is not to.This link = GameDev.Net Forums
Read this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement