Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XDarkScar

fstream read and write

I know how to do that but how do you read from a certian area bla bla bla bla bla bla| bla bla| bla bla bla bla how would you read from the area with the | second question how would you write to a certain area? tx for your replys Easy way of programming: Code, Graphics, Swearing....

Are you trying to read from a specific area in a file? If so you can use delimeters. These act as referece points to a file for example you could read in a file and only copy the file into a buffer after reaching one. They can be anything you like, but single character delimeters are easier to check. I like to use the tilde character.

You could write to the file as binary, and then read the file as binary of course and to specify a point in the file you could use an offset from the beginning of the file.

i'm not sure exactly what you want to do...

getline(infile, temp, '|');  

will read everything until it hits a |. you could also use ignore if you don't need the data before the |. then you could process data after the | if that's what you need. if you need the data on the line with the |, then something like this might work (haven't tried this code):

string line;
getline(infile, line, '\n');
while(infile)
{
if(line[line.length()-1] == '|')
{
//do something with this line
}
getline(infile, line, '\n');
}

that should read line by line and check the very last character of the string it read to see if it is a |. if it is, then you do something with the line you just read in the if block.

[edited by - bjl3784 on May 4, 2003 10:27:42 AM]