Help

Started by
10 comments, last by Krak 20 years, 11 months ago
Okay, I''m a complete newbie to Win32 and OpenGL programming. I''ve done console programming for a while, and I''m quite comfortable with it, and I think it may be time to move on to something more professional. I looked into Win32 and OpenGL, and I dont understand most of the code...is that normal for most programmers? Should I proceed anyway? And a few questions about APIs: 1.) What''s the easiest API to learn? 2.) What''s the most useful API to learn if I want to evetually become a game programmer? 3.) Do different game consoles have their own APIs? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
1. Whichever''s closer to your line of thinking. If you''re a die-hard OOP man who eats and sleeps inheritance and polymorphism, DirectX is probably closer to your line of thinking. If you''re more aligned with procedural and state-based programming, go for OpenGL.

2. They''re both commonly used. They are also very similar. Once you know one well, it isn''t very hard to learn the other.

3. Most consoles allow direct access to hardware, and vendors offer middleware to present a simpler API. The XBox uses a modified version of DirectX.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
As far as graphics go, it''s pretty much a religious war. OpenGL might be a little easier for a beginner to figure out because it takes a lot less initial code to get something running, but once you get past the initialization, the two aren''t that far apart. Just pick one and go with it. Once you learn one, the other should be fairly easy to pick up. If you want to eventually port your programs to other PC operating systems like Linux or Mac OS, you''ll want to use OpenGL

For not graphics things like input and audio, you''ll probably end up using DirectX either way unless you decide to use a library that wraps it, like SDL.
I suggest, just for learning purposes that you consider using glut and openGL. glut is a library for openGL that takes care of all the win32 stuff for you allowing you to focus on learning openGL and get objects on the screen with minimal code. When your programs get real big, glut will be insufficient and you''ll have to learn something else, but it will probably be a little while before you get that far.
quote:Original post by Krak
I looked into Win32 and OpenGL, and I dont understand most of the code...is that normal for most programmers? Should I proceed anyway?

When you started playing with a computer did you understand all of it? I highly doubt you did. Only way to get better is through experience/reading. So to answer that question, you''ll always run into things you don''t understand/totally grasp. Just keep at it and you''ll eventually see the light at the end of the tunnel.

~

For OpenGL, try NeHe''s site, which has very good, IMHO, tutorials on OpenGL as well as the Win32 programming needed to get GL up and running.
What API is used to make professional games?
Both.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Both OpenGL and Direct3D are used, might be more Direct3D than OpenGL.
SDL isn''t used in many professional games at the moment, but it''s very common among indie developers.

Glut is pretty cool, but it''s very evil in many ways. I''d go with the nehe code.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement