Mixing .NET 2002 and .NET 2003

Started by
2 comments, last by Cedric 20 years, 11 months ago
I bought Visual C++.net a year ago. A month ago, I decided to learn C#, and I thought that I should wait for the 2003 release in April. Is this going to bring up any incompatibility between the two? I know that I can install both side by side, but can I call managed C++ code (.NET 2002) from C# (.NET 2003) in this case? And while we're at it, can VC++ 2002 exploit the new .NET framework, or is it stuck with the old version? EDIT: Also, before someone mentions it, I have the academic version of VC++, so I'm not eligible for an upgrade, and I have an academic budget that wouldn't appreciate buying the new version. Cédric [edited by - cedricl on May 3, 2003 10:47:33 PM]
Advertisement
I also have an ``academic" vertion of MSVS 7 .net. as far as I know, it can do the NET Framework 1.0 all the way (if you have the SDK update)

Rate me up.
There *may* be some incompatibility between the .net 1.0 and .net 1.1(http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/default.aspx)

Yes you can use the .net 1.1 framework with VS 2002 (I forget the "easy" way to do it but I know you can change the .net libraries in the solution explorer by deleting them and then manually finding the 1.1 libraries and referancing them.) I know I saw a way to do it so it was automatic but I forgot where it was sorry

In VS 2003 you can choose which framework to use (for C#) in the project properties page. I *think* this is somthing they are adding for the update for VS 2002 but don't quote me on it.

[edited by - djkno3 on May 4, 2003 5:31:32 AM]
Ah, so if C# 2002 and C# 2003 are the same price, I have no reason to buy the former, have I?

Cédric

[edited by - cedricl on May 4, 2003 5:54:24 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement