Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aftermath

Application configuration library

I am in the process where I need to create an application that will enable a user to easily configure the game. The configurations are in an INI file, soon to be XML, and are not convenient for someone to quickly change. Is there some library that will aid me in creating a graphical, interactive, configuration application? I am talking, like, tabbed interface or something. Thanks, I hope you understand what I mean.

No, I am not looking for a programmatic way of configuring. I need the user to have a friendly user interface where he can use combo-boxes and radio buttons (and more UI elements) to configure the game.

I am already using MSVC 7 + INI I just need an easy way of representing that INI file to the user, and not have them to edit the file manually.

I have tried tabbed property sheets, but its just too damn complicated. I’m not getting anyway with those.

Anyone else?

quote:
Original post by petewood
I''d bang it out quickly in python (which has good support for XML) and wxpython to do the graphical stuff and use boa to stick it all together. Finally if your users haven''t got python on their machines you can make an executable with py2exe.

Thanks for the reply, i find it helpful... but i am using INI not XML.

I also dont want to get too complicated (i.e. python, wxpython, boa, urgh).

I just want somthing made psecificaly for the task -- configuring applications.

THanks for the reply though. Does anyone else know of anything that might help?

hi aftermath

I just looked into this for you and there is a module ConfigParser which is used for examining and manipulating .ini-like files.

Actually, if I understand what you''re trying to do, all you''d need was python and py2exe. ConfigParser lets you open a .ini file (or something like a .ini file), examine different sections and settings within those sections. It retrieves a list that you could loop through creating tabs and check boxes/options within those tabs. It wouldn''t be much code at all. I''d almost do it for you but its a bit late tonight for me.

you''d be able to work it out really quickly (even if you''ve never used python before)

pete