Triangle Strips VS just plain Triangles

Started by
11 comments, last by NeXius 20 years, 11 months ago
So, what we have here are two possible pieces of advice. One is that strips are faster the other is that tri-lists are faster. The moral of the story here is that you need to look into what you want to do and measure which is the fastest approach because no single approach is the best. Something that seems to be increasingly more common today. I rarely ask for advice but I am glad this issue came up, because I was quite firm in my beliefs. Personally I have learned something today and I am happy about it, even if this means more work for me as I will now have to look into how to improve my mesh handling.

No no no no! :)
Advertisement
quote:
The moral of the story here is that you need to look into what you want to do and measure which is the fastest approach because no single approach is the best.

It''s not so much a question about a single best approach, but about the the best approach suited to your particular situation. If you take this into account, then there might very well be a single best way to accomplish somethine: but this way will mostly be valid for you, with your specific engine. The only thing that can be generalized are abstract statistics: if you do this and that, then expect this and that behaviour. If, and how that behaviour will impact your performance, depends on your particular engine design. The concept of "faster" is highly relative these days, and the standard answer to those kind of issues typically is: "it depends".
look at the bright side.. sooner or later you will have a lot of fun with textures and rather sooner than later you might hit the fill rate limit. and from there on it really doesnt matter anymore if strips would perform 0.002ms better if fillrate would let them. but the time you might have invested to convert everything into the longest possible strips is something you wont get back ,-)

why not stick with the simpler lists and if you later get to a point where they become the bottleneck and you need every fps you can get you can still change to strips.
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement