Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schmacker

extra numbers appearing....

ok, so Im trying to convert stings to ints.... Im using the strings found in and a couple of functions I built after reading some things off another site. The problem as the title suggests, is that Im getting extra numbers on the end. I thought it might be garbage, but it is always the same.... if I want to convert 15 I''ll get 150040105F.... weird.. anyway the first function is as follows:

string intToString(int x) {

ostringstream stream;
	string temp;
	stream << x << ends;
	return(temp = stream.str());

}// end intToString()

and the second:

template<class T>
string ToString(const T& source)
{
  ostringstream oss;
  oss << source;
  return oss.str();
};

now the second did work if I had it declared in the same file as it was being used, but if it was put in a header and included then it added the numbers.... Im utterly confused by this... any ideas????

The ends is unnecessary, as indeed is the temp variable. Just return stream.str(). Not sure about the extra numbers. Are you doing a full rebuild? What compiler and STL library are you using?

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

good points both of them....

Im using VC++ 6.0 with all of the normal libs, so I guess their STL libs.... Im none to up to it with STL... anyway, Im re-buildin everything each time... ::shrug:: I have a hack in place that just removes the numbers off the end, but that could do a lot of damage so Im trying to find a way around it...