• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CWizard

[STL] List iterators

This topic is 5621 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've stumbled across an annoying problem with STL lists and their iterators, and I'm not sure how to work around them. The problem is that I want to access the next and previous elements of an element, but lists do not have random access iterators. To illustrate:
std::list<int> ints;
for(std::list<int>::iterator i = ints.begin(); i != ints.end(); i++) {
    // I want to access the neighbor elements like this.
    // In this case, nevermind the out-of-bounds access.
    if(*(i - 1) == *i);
    if(*(i + 1) == *i);
}

This would work fine with a vector, as the random access iterator has the - and + operators overloaded. I need to use list because its iterators aren't invalidated when inserting/erasing elements. I can, of course, us post-/pre- inc-/decrement, but that modifies the iterator itself. How should I go about accessing the iterator's neighbors in a clean way? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, because my mind isn't as sharp as it could be right now.
[edited by - CWizard on May 4, 2003 9:09:38 AM]

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Holy Fuzz
I''m assuming you could create a copy of the iterator, then increment/decrement THAT.
Yes, but that I doubt is a clean way. Wouldn''t you need to something like this:

if(*(--std::list<int>::iterator(i)) == *i);

Thanks, kind of awkward, but about what I had in mind doing myself. I''ll keep it in mind, for this particular problem I worked around it in this way:

std::list<int>::iterator i_prev;
std::list<int>::iterator i_next;
for(std::list<int>::iterator i = ints.begin(); i != ints.end(); i++) {
(i_prev = i)--;
(i_next = i)++;
}

I''m not really sure what was awkward about the boost solution

// write this once and only once

// you won''t have to repeat code with possible mistakes

// and it is obvious to read

template <class T>
T next(T x) { return ++x; }

template <class X>
T prior(T x) { return --x; }

std::list<int>::iterator i_prior;
std::list<int>::iterator i_next;
for(std::list<int>::iterator i = ints.begin(); i != ints.end(); ++i) {
i_prior = prior(i);
i_next = next(i);
}

I''m not sure if you can do this (never tried), but if you''re feeling brave, you can derive your own list class and simply overload the iterator objects to include addition and subtraction operators. That way it works for more than just adjacent elements. You could implement it as a loop, using the existing increment/decrement code inside.

The only thing you''d have to take of is if it gets to the bounds of the list, you set it equal to either end() or begin(), depending which end it went off, and then break.

Just my 2 cents

petewood: True, its wasn''t very awkward; I think I misunderstood it when I saw it first. It will be useful next time. I needed this when throwing together a code piece for this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=154639.

Zipster: Yup, that was what I primarily had in mind of doing, I just wasn''t sure exactly how to overload it. I''ll maybe try it later, as it could be useful to have.

quote:
Original post by petewood
the STL containers aren''t really intended to be derived from.

I suppose, but I was wary of recommending he modify the actual code

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!