[STL] List iterators

Started by
19 comments, last by CWizard 20 years, 11 months ago
I've stumbled across an annoying problem with STL lists and their iterators, and I'm not sure how to work around them. The problem is that I want to access the next and previous elements of an element, but lists do not have random access iterators. To illustrate:

std::list<int> ints;
for(std::list<int>::iterator i = ints.begin(); i != ints.end(); i++) {
    // I want to access the neighbor elements like this.
    // In this case, nevermind the out-of-bounds access.
    if(*(i - 1) == *i);
    if(*(i + 1) == *i);
}

This would work fine with a vector, as the random access iterator has the - and + operators overloaded. I need to use list because its iterators aren't invalidated when inserting/erasing elements. I can, of course, us post-/pre- inc-/decrement, but that modifies the iterator itself. How should I go about accessing the iterator's neighbors in a clean way? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, because my mind isn't as sharp as it could be right now. [edited by - CWizard on May 4, 2003 9:09:38 AM]
Advertisement
I''m assuming you could create a copy of the iterator, then increment/decrement THAT.
quote:Original post by Holy Fuzz
I''m assuming you could create a copy of the iterator, then increment/decrement THAT.
Yes, but that I doubt is a clean way. Wouldn''t you need to something like this:

if(*(--std::list<int>::iterator(i)) == *i);
Lookie here

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
Thanks, kind of awkward, but about what I had in mind doing myself. I''ll keep it in mind, for this particular problem I worked around it in this way:
std::list<int> ints;std::list<int>::iterator i_prev;std::list<int>::iterator i_next;for(std::list<int>::iterator i = ints.begin(); i != ints.end(); i++) {    (i_prev = i)--;    (i_next = i)++;} 
I''m not really sure what was awkward about the boost solution

// write this once and only once// you won''t have to repeat code with possible mistakes// and it is obvious to readtemplate <class T>T next(T x) { return ++x; }template <class X>T prior(T x) { return --x; }  

std::list<int> ints;std::list<int>::iterator i_prior;std::list<int>::iterator i_next;for(std::list<int>::iterator i = ints.begin(); i != ints.end(); ++i) {    i_prior = prior(i);    i_next = next(i);}  
I''m not sure if you can do this (never tried), but if you''re feeling brave, you can derive your own list class and simply overload the iterator objects to include addition and subtraction operators. That way it works for more than just adjacent elements. You could implement it as a loop, using the existing increment/decrement code inside.

The only thing you''d have to take of is if it gets to the bounds of the list, you set it equal to either end() or begin(), depending which end it went off, and then break.

Just my 2 cents
petewood: True, its wasn''t very awkward; I think I misunderstood it when I saw it first. It will be useful next time. I needed this when throwing together a code piece for this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=154639.

Zipster: Yup, that was what I primarily had in mind of doing, I just wasn''t sure exactly how to overload it. I''ll maybe try it later, as it could be useful to have.
the STL containers aren''t really intended to be derived from.
quote:Original post by petewood
the STL containers aren''t really intended to be derived from.

I suppose, but I was wary of recommending he modify the actual code

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement