Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bishop_pass

Can you guys do other kinds of art?

That is to say, instead of anime, orcs, spaceships, and robots? It doesn't really matter what the medium is. It could be Maya, pencil sketches, acrylic, oil, Photoshop, metalsmithing, clay, whatever. Look at my CAA thread as an example. Or, do a '57 Buick Century. Or an early 20th century locomotive. Do an early city scene. How about a Native American. Look at Watchful Eyes for inspiration. Do a dog, a cat, a horse, a bear, or a lion. [edited by - bishop_pass on May 4, 2003 12:16:13 PM]

quote:
Original post by Kandolo
Early 20th Century Locomotive, as requested.

Not exactly what I''d call a locomotive, but very nice nonetheless.

"To understand the horse you''ll find that you''re going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in Think Harmony With Horses

ALU - SHRDLU - WORDNET - CYC - SWALE - AM - CD - J.M. - K.S. | CAA - BCHA - AQHA - APHA - R.H. - T.D. | 395 - SPS - GORDIE - SCMA - R.M. - G.R. - V.C. - C.F.

Oh DUH... hah haha automotive / locomotive... See where those big bucks getting a college education are going? hah hah

Oh well. You don''t like robots? Maaan... well, here''s a robot.

Made out of cardboard.

A half-completed creature I made while learning subdivision modeling awhile back. (yes, that's only the right half of the body).

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

[edited by - sneftel on May 4, 2003 4:56:20 PM]

Why is there somethig other than anime, orcs, spaceships and robots? If there is, I don't want to know about it.

Lamont G.
CG Artist
Chula Vista CA
http://www.digitalweapon.net

[edited by - Lamont on May 4, 2003 6:59:55 PM]

Perhaps some one has a hand painted landscape? In oil or water colour? remember them? I dont have any to show, so here's a cartoon.

Can never remember how to post a pic.

Transportation and a Bear

[edited by - cenuij on May 5, 2003 6:42:58 AM]

Is it easier to draw a fantasy creature or an ugly monster, because one does not need to get the proportions correct, since they don''t already exist within the mind of the viewer?

I know there are some good artists here. I''d love to see if any of them can draw a really good horse.

*ahem*, I wouldnt exactly call them "sketches", as there is a bit more than simple doodling there

As for doing other stuff than fantasy/sci-fi sure, of course
What about this :

I did that a year or two ago for my little sister
Other stuff I do are abstract designs for tatoos (or at least, my friends told me they would make good tatoos). I love celtic art, too, I painted some of my tea cups with nice patterns, for instance. I like to do old-style medieval art like the kind you would find on old hand written books, but like celtic art, it''s the kind of stuff that needs its specific medium to really come to like.
Similarly, I like to draw on my skin not only is it nice, but I like the temporary aspect of the thing, akin to doing a mandala. I used to draw on the class tables with pencils, spending hours doing a kick ass drawing (for me anyway), knowing perfectly that it would be washed away in the evening or the weekend by the cleaners

remember, this is a specific community you are in. It is only natural that you see art that seem to be limited to specific genres...
if you want a bit broader horizon, you might want to visit the Sijun forums, which I haunt, as well as Hase (aint that right Hase ?)

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

I sometimes do nudes. I took a class on it a while back. I doubt I could post them though

--------------------------------------------
CLICK ME! CLICK ME! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY! CLICK ME!

"No. It looks like you barfed up a dictionary in a vain attempt to sound intelligent."
- KalvinB

quote:
Original post by ahw
*ahem*, I wouldnt exactly call them "sketches", as there is a bit more than simple doodling there

Yeah, he''s not bad. Some of his sketches sold for $25,000.
quote:
Original post by ahw
remember, this is a specific community you are in. It is only natural that you see art that seem to be limited to specific genres...

I don''t follow. Well, actually, I know exactly what you''re saying and why, but if you think about it, it''s not right. Where, in the concept of game development, game design, game programming (which this community is about) is there the philosophy that the content (and hence art) be related to fantasy, anime, spaceships and robots. In short, there is an emphasis on fantasy and sci-fi. There is nothing wrong with this content, but it is 95% of the content. Does the genre attract those fans, or do those fans define the genre? For every individual who breaks the trend through voluntary and involuntary exposure to other material, there exists the potential for synergies, through extrapolation, mixing, broadening, and adoption of other mediums and genres.

Not to thread cap or anything... but may i direct your interest to www.cgtalk.com. I came across them about 2 days ago, and some people are really talented art wise. Your question about hand drawn stuff... .There is one guy there... that does amazing "sketches"... more like full drawn pencil portraits. You may want to wade through their forums and check out some of their atwork. And then also... Check out "deviant art". You can find anything(style wise, and type) there.www.deviantart.com i believe. May have to google it....

-DD

Hmmm...your challenge sounds intriguing! Western themed art, eh? I think I''ll take a whack at it if the lads at LiquidMoon let me out of my pen for a while. Stay tuned...

-ian!

quote:
Original post by nvision
I think I''ll take a whack at it if the lads at LiquidMoon let me out of my pen for a while. Stay tuned...

Well, that''s very cool. Try not to be cliched or overbearing. Subtlety and sensitivity will win the day.

Killingpeople - that''s some amazing artwork..the first one really got my attention...I love your style..it reminds me a bit of my own... :D

"Few creatures of the night have captured our imagination like vampires..." Godsmack
DigiCode - My solo company in progress.

Heh, wish I could do stuff like that guy. For that amount of money I''ll strive to, who wouldn''t? I can''t grasp the concept of lighting, shading and coloring so it''ll be a while before I can do anything worthwhile.
Nice work killingpeople. Your other pieces on concept forum also rocks.
Other than scifi and fantasy, what else is there? Historical and present realism? Ewww. Now what good can come out of those genres if they get involved with games?

And, yes, I think that comming up with animation characters can be just as challenging (if not more challenging) than traditional art. The challenge is taking something complex, and properly representing it in a clean, simple, and accurate fashion that is true to the character you're representing. Not all sketches of anime are like that.

While in traditional (realistic) art, you have to worry about form, lighting, composition, and balance on a much more forgiving scale because the color scheme or shadeing scheme has much wider range than the colors allowed in anime.

As a general rule, in anime, all tones are done with two colors for a mature-themed movie character, and three-four colors for a light-hearted movie character. Hair color is dependent upon the character's personality.

There is much more craft involoved with anime than traditional art, but both follow the same kinds of rules thus making the professional level of each a very complex process.

[edited by - smiley4 on May 7, 2003 10:56:42 AM]

quote:
Original post by smiley4
There is much more craft involoved with anime than traditional art, but both follow the same kinds of rules thus making the professional level of each a very complex process.

I think you''re just biased towards anime. Howard Terpning, Olaf Weighorst, they have immense mood and story conveyed within their brushstrokes. A painting is more than its superficial content - it''s how it conveys something more than what it really is.