Can you guys do other kinds of art?

Started by
183 comments, last by bishop_pass 20 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by nvision
Ken Lashley, president of Draxhall Jump Comics (pencilled 10th Muse, Batman, Excalibur, etc.) once said to me, "Styles come and go, but if you can do decent traditional realism you'll always have a job in the art business." Work on your basics, anatomy, form, light, perspective, before you concentrate on style.

I agree. Cartoons are about simplifying real objects, and you can't do that successfuly if you aren't familiar with what you're simplifying. Some of Matisse's figure drawings don't look realistic, but they have something to them you can't get without understanding the human figure and traditional values in art. Lots of people today skip all that and make copies of what others are doing.

[edited by - mtw on May 7, 2003 2:58:47 PM]
Advertisement
Again, adopt a culture to portray. Learn the culture. Know the culture. Know the subtleties of the culture. Then make yourself a good artist. Find your own style. Make it a good style, one that doesn''t constrain you.

As an example, don''t choose a style that is dumbed down because it evolved from the mechanical limitations necessary to make animated cartoons. And certainly don''t copy a style.

It''s ok to copy a culture. Because there''s no such thing as copying a culure. Rather, you become a participant in the culture. And then you have the opportunity to communicate the subtle aspects of the culture to your audience.

If you want to do landscapes, or cityscapes, become a student of light, land and architecture. This is culture too. And then find your style.

If it''s cowboys, learn how horses communicate, because here is where you can rise above, and truly captivate your audience. I see things in the cowboy art that you might be missing, stuff that is amazing which translates to beautiful moments, with a story.

We can all appreciate light and landscape, and how the light plays off the world and draws in, or draws us through a window into another world.

If you want an abstract style, diverging from realism, then you need a unique style more than anything. I say unique, and that means not copying another style.
horsey eh...hm...all of a sudden I had an urge to go back to art for a little while..taking a break from programming..i''ll see what i can draw
Do the horse justice. That means you understand the culture. If you understand the culture of the horse, then you can draw him abstractly. If you don't understand the culture, then the best you can hope to do is draw a perfectly realistic horse, but you'll likely fail.

As I said, this concept applies to most art.

These people understand the culture and how to do art:
Howard Terpning.

Robert Shufelt's images, including this one

Telling off the Riders.

Bloomington Lake.

[edited by - bishop_pass on May 7, 2003 3:13:58 PM]
quote:Original post by bishop_pass
Like I said, the better anime gets, the more it shirks the style that is anime. And it does indeed project a feeling that it's for kiddies.

THAT, is what your culture tells you. It tells you that something hand animated is for children. It has always been so, but hopefully it will change.

It's about as retarded as thinking all comics are for children.

During the fifties, when the american comics started to develop and aim for a more mature audience, due to protests from conservative (and quite moronic) parents and teachers, the comic industry began enforcing self censorship. This lead to the "kiddification" (nice word, eh) of western comics.

And don't tell me Spawn is a mature comic.

Well, my personal theory is that this is what also made animated movies a medium directed to kids only. But disney is probably to blame for that as well...

I should perhaps also say that my favourite comic authors are NOT japanese, they're french and belgian. Jaques Tardi is my all time favourite.

EDIT: Howard Terpning has now become my favourite painter of realistic art

EDIT: Misquote

[edited by - Ganryu on May 7, 2003 4:00:11 PM]

[edited by - Ganryu on May 7, 2003 4:33:18 PM]
I'm sorry if you got me wrong then. I've been doing art since I was 5. I was assuming that you meant anime was not art at all. I see comics as art based on previously pioneered tactics. Yes, it may be easier to make anime on the computer, but I've drawn my comics by hand. I often draw more than just comics so that I can keep my edge when I simplify and exaggerate the line-drawings I put to paper. In fact, I conciter portraits to be my niche. It's only recently that I hit my style's "rebirth." I keep refining my style every time I draw. One day, I may be as good with color as I am at mono-chrome, but for now, it is still a challenge and I keep getting better with each try. Realisim is something that I've acheived, but not mastered. But as you can see with my Hitchcock link, I'm getting there. So, at least give me some credit for my opinions, because I have the experience to back it up.

[edited by - smiley4 on May 7, 2003 4:25:20 PM]
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
well, Im not a fan of anime so I would love to see a change of styles.

here goes my pic..

btw, those horse pics are quite nice!

-----------------------------
Sometimes a Guru meditation must be followed by a Vulcan neck grip.

[edited by - Herr_O on May 7, 2003 5:59:05 PM]

So there you have it: anime is one style, and can''t even find or portray culture well."

Alright...Here I have to disagree. While I do find many anime/manga titles produced in recent years are simply cookie-cutter manufactured fluff, I think your remarks are rather overgenerallized and there for the sake of inciting conflict.

Anime at it''s core grew OUT of culture, and is a direct evolution of Japan''s national cultural style which was molded by over 400 years of self-imposed isolation. Many conventions and stylistic adaptations arose from early comic/animation work of artists like Osamu Tezuka. These were refined and reinterpreted by many differnet artists since then, resultin in a multitude of styles.

Compare work by Shinichiro Watanabe to Mamoru Oishii or Hayao Miyazaki...clearly three distict styles of drawing and all steeped in culture. All three of them also deal with different aspects of culture as well. Look at Miyazaki''s accurate portrayal of children''s behaviour or Watanabe''s fluid, dance-like fight scenes. Or look at manga artists like Ryoichi Ikegami or Katsuhiro Otomo...clearly they know thier sh!t.

I agreed that people should be drawing more than just what they see in their favourite crappy tv show, but now you''re sounding like a narrow-minded ass.

-ian!
What makes anime a desirable abstract style? For that matter, why would an artist gravitate to an anime style at all?

Should art be a culture in search of a style or a style in search of a culture? I think it should be the former, and it usually is. The culture is there, and the artist yearns to portray it with a style. But I sincerely feel anime (as it is wielded by most) is a style in search of a culture.
quote:Original post by Ganryu
EDIT: Howard Terpning has now become my favourite painter of realistic art

There should be a reason for that. Yes he''s good, but why have you decided he is good? In what ways are you appreciating what he is doing?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement