Twist on MMORPG...

Started by
20 comments, last by Vlion 20 years, 11 months ago
I''ve had this idea floating around in my head for some time now, but I''m not quite sure how functional it would be in implementation. What are the key things in MMORPGS ? The MMO part, and the RPG part. What if we just made a MMO game, with no RPG in it ? That would be just chat; but in 3D, right ? How would you network it ? We don''t really have to do that: there is this great network called IRC set up. So what does all this mean ? It means that if you could write a program for chat and 3D, you could almost certainly setup a connection via IRC. The "world" would be a bar, or a house, or a similiar "small" area. Communication on the irc level would be /msg #chan cmd:move +1,-1,0 and the game would parse that into action for the character. cmd:move +1,-1,0 "Vlion moves 1 in x, -1 in y, and 0 in z" How does this set of ideas sound ? ~V''lion Bugle4d
~V'lionBugle4d
Advertisement
What about the bad lag you get sometimes in the IRC network?
Besides why not just make a 2d one first and if that is a success then you have all your IRC interface classes to work in a 3d one, if your 2d was feasible and it didn't give you much lag.

Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)

[edited by - TheShadow on May 4, 2003 12:49:51 PM]
Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)
There is somthing like this allready furbies or fuzzels or fuzzies I don''t remember what it is called but they use a iso engine and basically all it is is a chat room
quote:Original post by Vlion

What if we just made a MMO game, with no RPG in it ?

That would be just chat; but in 3D, right ?

Ok. Where is "game" in chat? And why does 3d constitute a game? MMO(RPG) MMO(whatever) is just a piece of shit acronym that people never should have invented in the first place.

MMO means: Massively (Wtf does massively mean anyfark?) Multiplayer Online if you add Game to this you have a MMOG.

Personally I think MOG works much better but what the fark to I know.

PS> Its really really old but here is your MMO Chat room (game).

ActiveWorlds
I think it''s an important distinction, Critical_Waste. "Massively" sets them apart from games like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 arena, which have a relatively small number of players populating a world. A Massively Multiplayer game can support massive numbers. I admit readily that "massive" is a nebulous term, but it gets the point across.

There might be a little redundancy in "multiplayer online", though. After all, are there any single-player online games?

But I agree that what''s been described here is less "game" and more "interactive environment" or "experience". I remember reading some kind of plans to introduce a gamespace "lobby" into games like UT or Quake. Players would actually walk around weapons-free to meet and host/join games. An awkward system, perhaps, but if it was elegantly executed, it could be made to work. Imagine a non-game-specific "lobby" system. I would expect it to be something like GameRanger, but with each room populated by character avatars. Pick your character and colors, a name and perhaps a unique icon, and then engage in all the same off-topic crap that people do in the pure-text systems. You could get clan uniforms or some other dorky stuff, and people would flock to it.

I think this is an inevitable evolution of the online gaming community, and it''s just a race to see who does it first, and then a contest to see who can do it best.
How about a change?
How about gratuitously large number of players compatible online game?
GLNPCOG anyone?

Webby
I think the word your looking for is "Avatar Chat" or "Character Chat". Here are a couple examples. They can be very successfull, and some include mini-games.

http://www.habbohotel.com/
http://www.rocketsnail.com/chat/penguin/

rsnail

[edited by - rsnail on May 5, 2003 12:49:03 PM]
Lance(rsnail) Developer and Artist.Rocketsnail Games - Small Bursts of Imagingation.http://www.rocketsnail.com/
quote:Original post by djkno3
There is somthing like this allready furbies or fuzzels or fuzzies I don''t remember what it is called but they use a iso engine and basically all it is is a chat room

Furcadia? Actually it''s a lot more than a chat room, although EQ players like to joke about it being useless.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage

There might be a little redundancy in "multiplayer online", though. After all, are there any single-player online games?

It''s not redundant since you have multiplayer offline games (i.e. splitscreen).

Darkhaven Beta-test stage coming soon.
Yea, that is kinda what I was think about.

It lookds to me like most of them offer partial functionality for free, then for the real functionality you must pay; or it is lame and free.

Activeworld seems to be the best of them, but it is fairly limited.

What I envision is a GPL''d application(not java or flash crap) that essentially sits on top of IRC and uses that as the communication layer.

Why IRC ?
Its common and reliable.
Why GPL ?
Easier for people to modifiy it and make it better.
Why app not flash or java.
Browsers can''t render at a decent speed for 3D graphics.

Good idea or no ?

~V''lion

Bugle4d
~V'lionBugle4d

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement