Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Utwo

MSDN Library Question

In the MSDN Library, both GDI and DirectX 9 seem to be documented quite well, with information on every structure, function, etc., all organized wonderfully. However, I''m using DirectDraw 7 and I can''t seem to find the documentation for this in the MSDN library. I can usually find what I''m looking for by typing the structure or function''s name explicitly in the search field, however right now I''m looking for an explanation of the LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 datatype and the search only yields other pages that contain the word, and not the explanation page of the datatype itself. Is it a #define of a pointer type? Is it an typdef of a pointer type? Is it a handle? I don''t know because I can''t find it. Does anyone care to help me help myself? :-p

IIRC, its a #define for IDirectDrawSurface7*.

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine

I found this in the DDraw.h file, but it's very confusing to me:

typedef struct IDirectDrawSurface7 FAR *LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7;

Obviously I have a lot to learn about typedefs. I don't recognize how struct is used in this context, and I've never seen FAR before. What is this line saying? Ultimately I want to know about how to pass an LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 object to a function and I need to know what it is so I know how it behaves and so on.

Edit: Thanks miserable.

[edited by - utwo on May 4, 2003 1:52:08 PM]

"Ultimately I want to know about how to pass an LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 object to a function and I need to know what it is so I know how it behaves and so on."

LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 is a pointer to a surface, when you want to pass it to a funtion just pass it normally MyFunc(lpdds);

Or did I just completly miss the point of the question?

quote:
Original post by thy MC
Please UPGRADE !
DirectX7 is harder than DX8. DX9 is not much harder than DX8.

Only problem with that is that (s)he's using DirectDraw, and the last one was DDraw 7.

[EDIT] mustn't assume everyone here's a guy...

[edited by - BlabberBoy on May 4, 2003 12:44:44 AM]