Using Maya to create models and worlds

Started by
10 comments, last by Matt1061 20 years, 11 months ago
I have been reading OpenGL Game Programming and was wondering how I would use Maya in my games. I read through the chapter about MD2 files and realize that I would need to save the Models in a similar file. My question is how would I create and use a world in Maya.
Advertisement
Hi,
I was wondering the same thing but instead of Maya, I have 3ds max 5. And instead of OpenGL I had DirectX SDK. Maybe is there an OpenGL SDK??? Any way in Directx you have to process images through the SDK and then into a programming language like VC++.net...

PS : Just try and see if there is a OpenGL SDK or Software Development Kit...

HTH
BattleGuard

Courage is no lack of fear, it is the will to act in spite of it
There should be plenty of tutorials on building game levels in Maya. The cool advantage Maya has over 3D Studio Max is it''s prelight function. It takes all of the lights in the world and precomputes the vertex colors. In other words, it basically computes the shawdows so your engine doesn''t have to do it. When you load the world the shadows will be there

Heres a quick way to do it in a nut shell:
After you scene is built, right click and select face mode. Then select all the faces in the scene. After thats done go to ''Edit Polygons->Colors->Precompute->Option(The square)'' In the dialog box under ''Sampling Options'' select ''Compute Shadow Maps'', ''Force Shadow Map Usage On Lights'', and ''Ignore Mapped Channels On Surface Shaders''. The ''Ignore Mapped Channels On Surface Shaders'' is important, if it''s not selected it will take the colors of the textures in consideration (Which will not look right). After those 3 options are selected, click the prelight button. Then push ''7'' to turn on hardware lighting and you should see the shadows. You can also save the shadow map by going to ''Edit Polygons->Colors->Paint Vertex Color Tool->Options (The square)'' click the map tab, then scroll down a little and you should see ''Export Atrribute Map'' then set the options and save.

Go to Alias'' web site and theres the full tutorial there. Have fun.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
battleguard:

The easiest way to use 3ds models in directx is to export your object in .3DS format (file >> export). Directx comes with a utility to convert .3DS files to .x files, and .x files are native to directx and, therefore, very easy to load.
For using Maya maps in games, would it be a good idea to convert .ma files into .3DS, or is there an SDK out there that allows you to use .ma in your engine? I have Maya 4.5 and 3DS Max 4, but I''ve never seen documentation on using Maya''s files in engines. Very good thread
Sayonara!~Ninkazu
Wow... I am glad that this topic was of interest to all of you and appreciate your feedback. *BattleGaurd* I believe there is a SDK for OpenGL but as far as I know it is not a graphical interface it is just a few header files (gl.h, glu.h, and glaux.h) and library files (opengl32.lib, glu32.lib, and glaux.lib). *UltimaX* thanks alot for that tip I will have to look into that, and also if you wouldn''t mind do you think you could post a http:// for the tutorial you refered to ...Thank you so much and happy coding.
Holy thread ressurection, Batman!

Seriously, does anyone know about the maya stuff? I''m really quite interested.
Sayonara!~Ninkazu
Heres the link to that prelight tutorial, enjoy it!

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Learn/how_tos/games/pre_light/index.html

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
Thanx KDOGG

BattleGuard

Courage is no lack of fear, it is the will to act in spite of it
3D Studio Max 5 has a similar "pre-light" function

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement